The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

balance shaft sprocket removal (top LEFT b-belt one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGen

Probationary Member
May 30, 2011
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I'm sorry guys I know that this has been asked but I cant find the right answer for me. I went to u pull and pay to practice on a 91 Plymouth laser 6 bolt on removing my front case before I tried on mine. Had everything off except castle plug (which i'm going to buy the tool for) and that stupid balance shaft belt sprocket. I don't want to damage it so I can re use it. It turns with the bolt. I'm told to use the belt as leverage when removing it, but 1.) what if i took the belt off and/or it wont remove with the belt on 2.) how the HELL would you get it back on with the right torque when it will start to spin the moment the bolt gets down to the sprocket after tightening?!:cry:

Last edited:
You don't you don't the pan back on until you have the front case on and these bolts tightened. You can hold the balance shaft itself. The front case is actually the front lip where the pan rides (that's why those two shorter bolts are required) so it kinda makes sense to put the pan on last anyway.

I'm kind of confused here. Are you deleting the balance shafts? What is the purpose for removing the sprocket?

I used vice grips to hold the b shaft while I removed/re-installed the nut.

With all the belts on and the car in gear there should be enough resistance for you to pop the nut loose. When you put it back on get it as tight as you can first, then wait till you have the belts back on and then tighten it to spec.

thank you mischif. My reason for doing this is to replace the front case gasket and seals. I'm not eliminating the balance shafts. I just don't want them to come out with the case when I finally go to pull it off. I know how to easily remove the oil pump sprocket but it was just that stupid sprocket in the top left I couldn't remove. the laser I was practicing on at the junk yard had a busted b-belt AND a busted timing belt. so know I know why that laser was their in the first place :/ all the belts on mine are fine so ill leave them on while i loosen the bolt for the b-belt sprocket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back