The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Balance Shaft Removal- Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gijoe985

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Grandview, Washington
What's the name of the part for the balance shaft "plug" when removing them? I jsut want to pick up that plug from Oreilly's. Can I just give them the part number?

MD092785
Balance shaft
cap (plug)

I do not believe there is a cross-over part available through O'Reilly. You can try calling them but typically you can take that part number and plug it in on their website to get it cross-referenced. NAPA doesn't show anything, either.

Can't you just match it with a freeze plug that is the same, or does that somehow not work? I'd think its pretty much the same thing so if you have dimensions then you just take that to them and there you go you've got it.

i have used 'matching freeze plugs' the last one was so tight of a fit i had to heat the front case with a torch, press the plug in with a hydraulic press, and then i glued over the top of it. and the dang thing still came loose and sprayed oil after 1000 miles. either get the true Mitsubishi parts or have a shop weld an aluminum slug in place.

Funny, I'm using a freeze plug that is JB-welded into the front case and it has 60k+ miles on it, without a leak at all.

Does anyone know if youre supposed to use any sealant on the OEM plastic plug? I didn't see it mentioned in the service manual so mine went in dry.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Would you mind sharing what parts store, who manufactured the seal, and what the manufacturer part number is?
I know this is an old post but i was also looking for a non oem freeze/core plug and found one that works, and figured i would share the part number here so the next guy will know what to order, most auto parts stores should have it in stock, brand is DORMAN, part number 555-093
I decided to drill and tap a hole for a possible future catch can setup.

Last edited:
your gonna JB weld that, right?
the last car i saw that didint jb weld the plug in ended up like

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back