The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance Shaft Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glover45

Probationary Member
Feb 15, 2015
Jones, Oklahoma
Hey guys, my balance shaft (the one driven by it's own belt) on my 90 eclipse gsx has gone out and I'm wondering how hard it is to fix or if I should just get rid of the belt that drives it or what. Any comments are welcome! Thanks, appreciate it!

Ah, gotcha.

In any case, I'd still pull the pan to see what you can see. You did say there wasn't metal shavings when you drained the oil last time so, optimistically, it shouldn't be a complete loss.
Yeah I'll try to. But it's going to be a few days before I'm going to have the time to fool with it. But I'll post an update when I do.

I've had way worse. Take a breath and keep going. You can remove the front case with motor in the car but it isn't easy.

I'd delete the balance shafts; saves you a trip to the dealer and you will gain free hp ! Make sure you do all of the must dos, rotate bearings cut shaft etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back