The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Balance shaft phase

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribble

Proven Member
Dec 7, 2015
Disputanta, Virginia
I've read several vfaqs on replacing my timing belt and I know that it's very important to have the oil pump phased correctly because it's connected to a balance shaft. My question is what about the other balance shaft that is turned by the shorter belt. Does this need to be phased too or do I just need to line up the timing marks and I'll be ok? Thanks

Before you take off the balance shaft belt,. Wad up a couple of pieces of duct tape and place by the oil pump sprocket and the balance shaft sprocket so they don't move.

There is no phase on the front shaft as it is turned directly. The reason the rearshaft has a phase is because it is driven via a set of gears behind the oil pump sprocket.. even when the oil pump lines up the shaft will be in one of three positions. Only one of them is right.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back