The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Balance shaft delete question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_genecide

Proven Member
Jan 26, 2013
yuma, Arizona
This may have been covered already and if so I must have missed it in my search.
I would like to know the cons to cutting the stock rear balance shaft just aft of the oil pump. I know that there is an oem solution to the rear shaft delete.
Why not?

It's just more work and you have to block the passage. If you hadn't figured it out yet the shaft bearing is fed through the shaft. It's hollow.

Like Pauly said the stock balance shaft has a bore in it and that is where the bearing on the oil pump side shaft gets it's lubrication. You can cut it and weld it but i would advise against it. Just get a OEM stub shaft and be done with it. Alternatively you can turn down the stock shaft and run it to help support the oil pump gear. I find it not necessary but some do.

The OEM Stub shaft is less than $16, it wasn't worth my time to cut and weld the original balance shaft. Plus you may decide to go back to running balance shafts in the future and a new one of those is much more expensive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back