The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Balance Shaft Belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
This is one of the first times that I have ever seen a DSM with a Balance Belt in my life, everyone has always done the job before me. I am going to eliminate the balance shafts on my 7 bolt 94 laser at some point.

I am in the process of pulling the head on this car due to a problem it has. I am about to start removing tensioners.

My question is: Can I just remove/discard the balance belt during this process without having to *think* about anything else or the future BSE for now? I am just being cautious. I don't want to knock anything internal out of wack by removing it while pulling the head.

I don't really know how the balance shafts work and really don't care to at this time. There is so much wrong with this car that I just want to stay focused on head replacement at this time.

If I can just pull the Balance Belt off and not *think* about anything, would it be step 26 of my writeup, e.g. after step 24 or 25 e.g. do I have to get the pistons at TDC first?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/writeup-on-removing-1g-cylinder-head.477456/#post-153416471

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for your post. I thought I wasn't going to get a response and wanted to keep on moving.

I went down the more complex path last time and lost time and interest:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/balance-shaft-removal-with-engine-still-in-car.466655/

So you are saying to replace the balance belt along with the timing belt and be done as an option?

No matter what route I go down, I'd still like to know when in this process I can remove the existing balance belt without hurting anything or knocking something out of sync that can't be corrected later?

So here is where I am having trouble in my writeup:

24) Pull the spark plugs, find TDC #1 cyl, place a long screw driver or 1/4 extension in the spark plug hole. Rotate the engine approx. 90*, so all pistons are at mid stroke.

25) Slip the timing belt off by removing the idler pulley (pulley next to the water pump).

Can the removal of the balance belt be done prior to, during, or after step 25?

In other words, does it matter when I remove that balance belt in my focused effort to inspect the cylinder head?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter when you remove it. I didn't read the list but it sounds like lots of extra steps..screwdriver for Tdc to remove the head? Anytime the cams are not dowels up or down the pistons are out of the way.

Hey, thank you. I'll go ahead and remove it no matter which way I decide to go. Thanks for the feedback on that part of the list.

Removing the balance shaft belt is possible after removal of the timing belt, after removal of the crank pulley.

I say to just replace it with another belt in the effort to keep the car as stock to prevent future unknown problems. Like if the vehicle was to be serviced ten years from now at a basic mechanics shop they would not understand the concept of the balance shaft delete.

I also highly recommend replacing the crank seal after you remove the crank sprocket. Also replace the oil pump pulley seal as well.

The screw driver method is used to make sure the oil pump stays in the correct position as the balance shaft. To put it in perspective the oil pump and the balance shaft look like short camshafts that spin opposite in relation to each other to reduce engine vibrations from movement of the oil pump

Thanks. I was thinking in terms of losing patience and cutting the old balance belt prior to removing the t-belt. I see what you are saying about the order of operations though. I'll stick to that.

You wouldn't have to wait 10 years around here at even an advanced shop's failure to understand the concept of the balance shaft delete. I cringe every time they call my Subaru engine a V-6 and so on.

I'll likely go the belt route or the quick and dirty route of BSE this time around.

Appreciate your time.

You wouldn't have to wait 10 years around here at even an advanced shop's failure to understand the concept of the balance shaft delete. I cringe every time they call my Subaru engine a V-6 and so on.

I'll likely go the belt route or the quick and dirty route of BSE this time around.

Appreciate your time.

That is why I get the part numbers I need first, then go in. Advanced often has good discount codes to buy online-pick-up in store that are better than even an employee discount.

Lol! I do the same thing. I know all about the AAP codes. It's the techs around here that have lost their minds. The dudes at Advance are pretty good. Like you say, go prepared and it's easy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back