The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance shaft belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's cause most dsmers don't run the balance shafts. You can find info on replacing it in the factory service manual or in a Haynes manual. I suggest owning a copy of the Haynes manual if you own a dsm. I have 2, one in the house and one I carry in my laser.

Also here is a link for timing belt install on a 1g, look at timing belt "B" installation on a 93, because that's a 7 bolt and should be similar if not exactly the same, I'm not 100% sure cause I know 1g 6 bolt stuff I'm not much of a 2g/7 bolt guy. Hope that helps.

http://www.dsm.org/tsbs/tbelt/tbelt.htm

That's cause most dsmers don't run the balance shafts. You can find info on replacing it in the factory service manual or in a Haynes manual. I suggest owning a copy of the Haynes manual if you own a dsm. I have 2, one in the house and one I carry in my laser.

yea most dont i do, for now anyway, and i had a haynes dont know what happened to it guess its good time as any to get a new one

To each their own. Im not doggin ya for runnin one its probably nice the whole car doesn't shake at red lights. i run a race shaft in my rear balance shaft cause i dont believe in that stubby shaft, to each their own! I edited my post with a link to a belt install. Hope that helps.

The steps are simple- loosen the one bolt on the balance shaft tensioner, remove the large bolt from the center of the crank (impact gun highly recommended) to get the timing belt pulley and trigger plate out of the way, and the belt will come right off.

Re-installation is just as easy, align the engine to TDC and make sure the balance shaft gear arrow is pointing to the slot in the front case, then slide the belt on. Install a new tensioner pulley then apply a slight amount of preload to the belt and tighten the adjustment bolt....don't over-do it. If you run this belt too tight it will blow to pieces the first time you rev the engine above highway speeds. It's better if the belt is a little loose than too tight.

If you plan on building the car as mentioned already in regards to the race shaft replacement... REMOVE THEM. Get the kit its like $55 last i checked a few years ago, or heck run a race shaft. That's not a bad idea also.

You also need to stick a screw driver in an access hole in the block. The oil pump to shaft gear ratio isn't 1:1 you'll have to set engine at TDC, rotate the oil pump untill your screwdriver sinks in. Then install the belts.

You actually don't need a screwdriver for the oil pump. Rotate the oil pump until the timing mark is up at 12 o'clock and let go. If it flops to the left it's in phase. If it flops to the right, it's out 180 degrees so you'll need to go another rotation and try again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back