The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G balance shaft belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_GSX4life

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2004
Redwood City, California
ok well i took my car into the shop because i heard a strange rubbing noise from the right side of the engine. i thought it was something rubbing on the timing belt but no one else belived me. There was also a little shread of a belt that flew out of the timming belt area. so i tow it to the mechanic and he calls me 4 hours later and tells me the sound is gone. and everything is good. we run it for 10 mins and ifs fine. I get about 3 blocks away at a red light and i hear a metal on metal sound.(almost like a bad bearing or something) and then the car dies. i try to start it and it back fires and dies. then after trying one more time the engine doent turn over but when i try the t belt spins. which is no compression (i think)
now the balance shaft belt is all shreaded up and in half. I really hope that my valves are not bent. Any other ideas on what it could be??? Thanks

Check for a failed harmonic balancer, and crankshaft endplay. Guessing at why the balance shaft belt broke can only be guesses until you've opened up the cover and found out if the cause was visible. It may not have been replaced when the cam belt was.

Does anyone know where I could find the balance belt today 2021? don’t need the kit have all other belts some one must know where to locate a new one please!
Thanks

Last year I bought my timing & balance shaft belt from RockAuto along with tensioner, all pulleys & water pump. I choose mostly GMB pulleys, Aisin water pump, & I think Continental belts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back