The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Balance Shaft Belt Broke (AGAIN)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM Chase

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Senoia, Georgia
Well 6 Months after nuking my balanace shaft belt and it taking out my crank sensor, I have done it again. That same terrible sound of death while boosting that sounds like an explosion followed by immediate silence of the motor. Im not sure how i keep breaking these things! Link Threw a 0335 (crankshaft positioning sensor Malfunction) the same code it threw the last time i destroyed the belt. It was a gates Belt tightened to spec all pulleys in the timing side are new. The timing belt did not break and i believe i got lucky again and it didnt jump time. My crank does have 6 thousanths of endplay which i checked with a feeler guage the correct way about a month ago when i had the motor out to put my ac compressor back on, i am KICKING MY SELF IN THE HEAD for not doing a balance shaft delete then. But 6 thousanths is still within spec?

My main question is should i delete the Balance Shaft or is it possible to run a
1G CAS and fake the crank sensor?

Not sure how true this is but I've heard of people faking the cas signal by using a potentiometer (basically an adjustable volume knob) from radio shack

Cut that belt and leave it out until you have time to delete the shafts properly.

Balance shaft bearing could have spun and it has a tight spot or possibly even locks up and throws the belt. Either way leave the belt off until you are able to delete both shafts.

how easy should the balance shaft be to spin by hand?

Balance shaft bearing could have spun and it has a tight spot or possibly even locks up and throws the belt. Either way leave the belt off until you are able to delete both shafts.
This makes the most sense to me, i remember the force it took to spin the shaft by hand last time it broke was questionable.

It should spin with little to no resistance at all. im with project tsi, i bet you spun or are in progress of spinning a bearing and its getting a out of round spot and possibly locking up at some interval. If you cant decide if its spinning freely then, I would pull the oil pan and inspect further. Honestly I would anyways for peice of mind anyways..

my balance shafts on my 7 bolt spin easily by hand.. pretty sure project_tsi nailed it with his post.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back