The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Balance shaft bearing install - Not Deleting BS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

406_Talon

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2014
Kalispell, Montana
I am installing the rear balance shaft bearing to put my engine back together, and I had a hell of a time lining it up. I thought I had it dead on, but I guess my mark was off, I can only see what I’m doing with a little endoscope I have. Anyway, it’s misaligned by maybe 1/5 of the total oil hole size or so, I took some pictures with my endoscope, it was hard to get it to focus so sorry for the quality. Is this going to be ok? I really don’t think this bearing could spin, am I wrong? Will it get enough oil through this restriction? Do I need to try again?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I gave it a couple more taps because the bearing was not quite seated, it looks like this now. Again sorry for the potato quality I can barely get the camera in there. I think I’m just gonna send it though that looks like plenty of room for flow, right?

Thanks for the reply DSMPT. I think it’s gonna be fine, I’m gonna leave it. It’s barely off, I doubt I’d do better a second time and I’d have to wait on a bearing in the mail.

Why would you need to wait on a new one? Just tap it out and put it back in
The only socket I’ve managed to find that hits the bearing, but fits through the hole in the block always bites the friction surface of the bearing, they never seem to come out clean. I have a driver to get it in but it doesn’t fit through the bore. And I think this block in particular is a bit tight or something, because I have to hit it like I’m at the driving range to get it in LOL. Pic is the one I took out, I’m putting the BS back in a deleted engine so it was 90 degrees out.

Last edited:
This wrecks the balance shaft, doesn’t it? Jafro says in the video that it toasts the shaft. I just need to go get more brands of 32 mm socket I think. But I already put the front bearing in, I think that slight misalignment is gonna be ok based on DSMPT’s reply and a friend who has experience weighing in.

I would run it, the concern with balance shafts is always the belt not the bearings, I installed new bearings on my prior engine using the md specialty tool and didn’t even double check them as you have, when I tore the motor down to beef it up with forged internals the bearings were fine. That hole is only slightly mis aligned, and there’s a million other things that will likely be an issue with your car without that being one of them LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back