The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Baer Big Brake Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teevee

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
So Cal, California
Got some spending money and I'm looking at buying the baer big brake kit. the rotors are 13"x1.1, the site says you should have 17in wheels or larger, I have evo VIII rims so I'm sure they will fit. I'm also looking at upgrading it to the two piece rotor set which saves 5-6 pounds per each side. What do you guys think? Also should I look into getting a different brake booster?

one vote for two-piece rotors.

Upgrade now for around 200, or purchase later for somewhere north of 500. The debate threads usually go "I wish I would have...." you know the rest.

:dsm:

I've got the baer 13"x1.1" brakes on my car. The calipers were labeled left and right incorrectly, just make sure you mount them so the bleeder valve is at the top (duh I know, right). I'm using mine with porterfield RS-4 pads and some ATE super blue fluid, anyway, I think they work pretty awesome. I would recomend NOT getting the cross drilled rotors because mine started cracking.

Sorry to jack this, but if you know where I can just buy straight up replacement rotors, I'd appreciate knowing.

I've also got the 2-piece rotors with the kit and absolutely love it. Mine are cross-drilled and slotted and I drive year round with no signs of cracking at all. Definately a worthwhile upgrade.

blackGSX2g said:
I've also got the 2-piece rotors with the kit and absolutely love it. Mine are cross-drilled and slotted and I drive year round with no signs of cracking at all. Definately a worthwhile upgrade.

You start wheeling on a track, they're going to split like a fat chick's pants.

Just straight up slotted would be the best bet, the cross drilled wont start to crack or anything like that unless you are hard on them and creating a bit of heat, and 1 more 2 piece rotor upgrade vote here. This summer Im upgrading to baer big brake kit or their pro kit...about 2300$ for the pro kit I think, but what ever.

cait sith said:
You start wheeling on a track, they're going to split like a fat chick's pants.

Agreed. I even had the Baer "upgraded, improved, thicker firepath" rotors they sell. Two track sessions later, nice big crack and someone hitting the underside of my brake pedal with a hammer. These were virgin, not drilled, not slotted rotors. The saving grace is that this is the same rotor used on the Cobra's and with a slightly different hat and offset, on the C5 Corvettes. Napa sells cheapo replacements for $31 each. Use 'em and throw them away. Before you scream about cheap imported parts (which they are), several of the Corvette T1 teams I know do the same thing and use the same $31 Napa rotors. If they work for them, they are good enough for me.

eyetrauma said:
I've got the baer 13"x1.1" brakes on my car. The calipers were labeled left and right incorrectly, just make sure you mount them so the bleeder valve is at the top (duh I know, right). I'm using mine with porterfield RS-4 pads and some ATE super blue fluid, anyway, I think they work pretty awesome. I would recomend NOT getting the cross drilled rotors because mine started cracking.

Sorry to jack this, but if you know where I can just buy straight up replacement rotors, I'd appreciate knowing.

they're probably just 97+ cobra rotors. buy them at autozone, take them home and measure everything ot make sure they;re the same. worst case, you wasted an hour. best case, you saved a couple hundred dollars.

Can someone tell me the best place to buy this kit. I see its $1015 on MachV and $795 on DSMPARTS.com, however on DSMPARTS you cannot choose the 2-peice rotor or the drilled/slotted option.

Anyone know much about TPM rotors? I purchased a front set of these, they seemed very well made to me. vented of corse, drilled, slotted, heavy as crap, had what looked like a honed surface on them, and the "holes" were just holes they were counter bored (I think thas what you call it) had kind of rounded edges going into the hole.

I talked to a few vendors and they all told me they had never had any complants or any returns etc. on them where as they had a few others they were saleing.

I like mine. They have been well worth the $700. No you do not need a different booster/master cylinder.

Can someone tell me the best place to buy this kit. I see its $1015 on MachV and $795 on DSMPARTS.com, however on DSMPARTS you cannot choose the 2-peice rotor or the drilled/slotted option.

Look on froogle, you can find em cheaper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back