The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bad Vibratons....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSI15PSI

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2002
Utah
Whats up everyone?? Last night I was on my way down the freeway and when I was up to about 75mph the car began to vibrate extremly bad...steering wheel...everything. What could this be? Bad shocks/Struts. It pulls to the right pretty bad. Please let me know what you think. If it is the shocks/struts what should I go with? Thanks alot everyone.

Eli
91 TSI

Strangely enough, I've had this problem in both of my Eclipse's. On both, it was warped brake rotors. They were warped to bad they were causing vibration without pedal pressure. You might want to have them checked.

Thanks alot guys!! I will have that checked ASAP!!! If it does turn out to be shocks/struts??...what do you reccomend?? Thanks alot.

TSI...Eli

You know what!! I recently had a blow out and I purchased a new tire...I asked him to torque those down for me but I will check those right now..thanks Eurogstspyder. I am still wanting to know about those shocks/struts...what is good..what works.

TSI....Eli

Make sure you didn't lose a balancing weight on one of your wheels while you were driving.

Thanks turboguru, I checked my passenger rear where the blowout was and sure enough it did not have a weight on it. Would this actually cause that bad of a vibration at higher speeds?? I still would like to know what shocks/struts that you guys/girls reccomend because I get paid Friday and I will have some money for them. Thanks alot.

TSI...Eli

As for the shock/strut question...depends on how much drop you want and what you plan on doing with the car. For show, KYB AGX (or Tokico Illuminas) and Eibach Sportline springs. For autocross, swap Pro-Kits in for the Sportlines, or get coilovers. For drag, Eibach ERS or another fully built coilover system (I prefer JIC-Magic FLT-A2's personally). This is just a quick synapsis, I recommend doing a LOT of legwork and research so you don't have to buy something else later cause this one didn't ride right (been there).

Only, if you had it fall off. sometimes when tires are balanced they only need one weight on the inside lip of the rim. In any case, loosing a wheel balancing weight can cause bad vibration that resonates throughout the entire car and will increase in frequency (speed of vibration) as the wheel rotates faster. Higher frequency vibrations are more noticable to most people in this situation and are more violent because of its relation to centrifugal force and the wheel speeds involved. Just have your local tire shop check the balance of your wheels to see if this is the problem. Hope this helps... Joe

Thank you guys very much!! Rocket DSM...sounds like I have alot of research to do, and I will do my homework. I appreciate the input very much. Joe...I went to the shop today and they rebalanced it and sure enough that helped ALOT...its amazing that a little balance can help that much. There is still a vibratio in the front so I am assuming that it is the struts. I was just payed and I will find out what I can do and afford. Once again thanks a million everyone.

TSI...Eli

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back