The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bad Timing?? Please Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdabishop

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
mesa, Arizona
So I finished my car and it runs fine but when coming down from higher RPM's it makes a whining noise and has a lot of hesitation when driving. Motor has little over 100 miles from rebuild and I switched over to a 1g cas and the timing is at 5*.

I linked a video just to see if anyone has had the same issue or knows how to fix it. I didnt set the 1g cas so im not sure if its correct I had a shop wire it and he supposedly got it all working.

Please need help thanks!

[ame=http://youtu.be/_zTnPD2q9yM]Talon issue? - YouTube[/ame]

It's hard to tell the location of the buzzing from the video, but it is definitely rpm related. No, that's not a normal '2G' sound.

Yes, it could be transmission related, but a more likely culprit would be a belt or pulley issue with the alternator or power steering. You could check those quickly by disconnecting the belts and revving it up.

If you can't locate it in the belts, try another video for us, this time just revving in the garage, showing us under the hood.

If it only happens when you drive, it is a drivetrain issue.

Someone else wired the cas and set it all up. But I had someone look at it and he said the timing marks are a tooth off so my next question would be can 1 tooth off cause such issues?

Mchancal timing has nothing to do with ignition timing. If you are a tootb off of mechanical timing it needs to be fixed before any furthur diagnosis (if any) is performed. Cas governs ignition timng. You still did not answer my question. What do you mean you "set" timng to 5 degrees but you also state you did not mess with cas which would be reuired to set ignition base timing.

I'm going out on a limb here. Usually don't reply unless I'm sure I'm giving correct information. My best guess is that noise is from the front cover. There's a rubber gasket that goes around the front cover. If that gasket is missing that might be causing the sound you here. In any case, if the timing is off one tooth, the cover will have to be removed anyhow. Check for that gasket, check the concentric and idler pulley, retime and see if that noise reappears.

Yea shop told me the timing information because a buddy asked and that was their response. I will redo timing and hopefully resolve this issue but thanks for answering my questions because I wasnt sure if one tooth was cause such a huge issue along with a boost leak

video does no justice

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back