The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bad throw out bearing or more?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttravis88t

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
So I bought this car a few months ago knowing the clutch had some issues. It vibrates very bad going from a stop into first and genuinely shifts like shit if I don’t feather the clutch PERFECTLY. It is a centerforce clutch installed only 2 years ago (I have invoices) so I can’t can’t imagine it’s already bad. Trans was rebuilt too. So my assumption is the bearing. This video below shows the car on jacks in neautral and the wheel still spins. Can Anyone confirm what’s up?

Clutch could be bad at this point in time; even though it was installed "recently". Could have been a HARD two years.

Plus, if your wheels are spinning while in neutral and you rev it, the clutch is dragging and that will impact clutch life. There is a chance this clutch is shot if it's been dragging the whole time; but you wouldn't know that until you inspect it.

I'd check youtube for Jacks Transmission and jafromobile for their clutch engagement series and properly adjust yours, and see if that cures your issues.

Clutch could be bad at this point in time; even though it was installed "recently". Could have been a HARD two years.

Plus, if your wheels are spinning while in neutral and you rev it, the clutch is dragging and that will impact clutch life. There is a chance this clutch is shot if it's been dragging the whole time; but you wouldn't know that until you inspect it.

I'd check youtube for Jacks Transmission and jafromobile for their clutch engagement series and properly adjust yours, and see if that cures your issues.
If a trans is in neutral and in good condition, why would the wheels move if the clutch is slipping? They shouldn't move even with the clutch fully engaged. I thought the test was to put it in gear and see if the wheels moved with the pedal all the way down, to see if the CLUTCH was slipping, not the trans.

It's easy to mean one thing but say another online. Ask me how I know. :idontknow:

But yeah, that's the proper test procedure. Every time I did it I made sure there was nothing in front of the car, for obvious reasons.

It vibrates very bad going from a stop into first
That's called clutch chatter. Usually indicative of a worn clutch disc or a heat damaged flywheel.
It is a centerforce clutch installed only 2 years ago (I have invoices) so I can’t can’t imagine it’s already bad.
Here's a 9 month old clutch and flywheel. Assume nothing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's called clutch chatter. Usually indicative of a worn clutch disc or a heat damaged flywheel.

Here's a 9 month old clutch and flywheel. Assume nothing.

Ok cool, so I’m gonna drop the transmission soon to inspect but Since I’m going in I might as well do everything, what is a good clutch kit that online that I should get? Don’t know if I want to go centerforce again, I need something to withstand 500whp+ but also want to get one that has some life. Any good ones out there? Also am gonna get a new flywheel and maybe a clutch fork

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back