The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

bad pivot ball or fork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmGSTtuner

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2012
lexington, South_Carolina
I have a 97 gst and it wouldnt go into gear, it would grind. It managed to go into reverse and as i released the clutch in moved like normal. When i tried to put it in 2nd it wouldnt even grind or anything. It just felt as though it was blocked or something. I removed the tranny and everything was in place. The fork didnt actually "click" into place to the pivot ball though. It was really loose. I never drove the car so i dont know if the tranny is good. It shifts into all gears when the car is off though. Anyone have any ideas? Is there any way to check it while its out?

yea i checked it....no leaks. I even adjusted the pedal as much as i could before it hit the relief valve. Would it be a clutch issue even if i got it into gear(reverse) once? Plus i think i could start it in gear too

1)Have you had someone push the pedal while you watch the fork to see if it moves?

2)Is the fork centered in the boot while at rest?

Those two questions will point you in the direction of the failure - if the fork doesn't move (or moves very litte), yet is centered in the boot, then you have a hydraulic problem. If the fork isn't centered while at rest, then you have a geometry problem (bent fork, work pivot ball/fork, trashed TOB).

The fork was centered at its resting point and it had decent amount of motion when i pressed the pedal. The TOB wasnt messed up at all but im changing it just to do it while i have everything out. Should the fork actually "click" into the pivot ball?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back