The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

bad misfire/gas on plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetraceboi

Sep 4, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
my car has a bad miss and cant figure out why. it sounds like im running on 2 cylinders. did a compression test 1-145,2-135,3-130,4-125. i checked the plugs today and 3,4 plugs were black. and 1,2 plugs were wet with gas. i dont think its oil, smells like gas. what does this mean?? i know this is probably why my car is missing, but how do i fix it?? what is wrong with the car??

Originally posted by streetraceboi
i checked the plugs today and 3,4 plugs were black. and 1,2 plugs were wet with gas. i dont think its oil, smells like gas.

-Did this happen after you work on the car? did you check the spark plug wire and the sequence they plug into the coils? 4-1-2-3 left to right. What brand/type of plugs are you using? what's the gap?

This might be another issue but according to the manual if you do a compression test and the range is greater than 15 psi you need to get it checked out. From your numbers it seems like you are at 20 psi.

no this didnt happen after i worked on the car. im using bosch platinums gapped at .30 with accel 8mm wires. when i did the compression test the injector harnesses were plugged in. are you supposed to did it with them unplugged?? i think i figured out the problem though. this is what i did, i turned to car on (missing like hell of course) then unplugged one injector harness at a time. i unpluged the first two and nothing happend, once i unplugged the third one, the car turned off. so now im leaning towards bad injectors or bad harnesses. what do youall think?? how do i go about replacing the harnesses if that is the problem?

Gas on plugs=spark misfire

Compression test

-remove all plugs
-Disable fuel to prevent cylinder wash down (wash down cylinders with gas = lower compression)
-open throttle plate all the way
Crank for 4-5 "puffs" and take down reading

-Most DSMers use NGK plug only.
-Get a cd-rom manual if you don't already have one.
-vfaq.com is your new best friend.
-Redo the compression with the instruction @ vfaq.com.
-Check the injector connectors, alot of time the wire become brittle and break off right at the connectors, if harness check out good, then check the output to individual injector from the ECU (cd-rom).
-Also check out the leaky capacitors at vfaq.com.

it turned out to be bad injectors. i think they were clogged because when i opened the fuel rail, some brownish, rust colored stuff was in there mixed with the gas. i think its from the fuel tank since the car was sitting since 1999, when i bought it 4 mnths ago the fuel tank was full of guey brownish stuff, thats what i think got in the injectors. swithched them out now my car runs fine. thanks for all the help and input.:thumb:

Originally posted by streetraceboi
it turned out to be bad injectors. i think they were clogged because when i opened the fuel rail, some brownish, rust colored stuff was in there mixed with the gas.

-Should replace the fuel filter located below the battery on the firewall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back