The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

bad idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brueman554

Probationary Member
Jun 15, 2012
Bruenn, Florida
early morning starts or even 15min after driving after starting itll reve high then slowly go down sometimes just completley turns off? other times itll stabilize and as soon as i hit the gas it dies whats the probem?

This can be caused by several things, the most common of those being a boost/vacuum leak. So first and foremost, go ahead and perform a boost leak test while spraying everything down with soapy water and repair any leaks that you find in the charge/intake system.

This is not the only thing that could be wrong, however. A lot of times you will encounter improperly adjusted throttle body's. I recently helped a good friend resolve her idle issue - during decel the engine would bog and try to die, struggling to maintain 500+ rpm. Her TPS was reading .96 instead of the called for .63/.64 range. We went ahead and adjusted the throttle plate screw to 2 full turns from fully closed, set the TPS correctly, and turned the BISS screw out 1 1/2 turns from all the way in. Car started right up, idled high for a moment, then leveled out. It now decels perfectly with no idle hunting at 950rpms, and idles much smoother.

Aside from the TPS, the BISS can make a huge impact. If it is improperly set the ISC will have to work extra hard and may not have the lee-way needed to maintain a good idle on decel, thus bogging and/or dying. Making sure the BISS is set properly and your ISC is in the proper range (30%-35% if I recall correctly at idle?) is also a very positive thing to check into.

;) Just some food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked for boost leaks right before posting this thinking tht could be the problem but its not, then i thought it could be something power related due to the fact it dies even faster if i turn on the headlights or power up the radio, and at a complete stop the car will die if the ac is on

i checked for boost leaks right before posting this thinking tht could be the problem but its not, then i thought it could be something power related due to the fact it dies even faster if i turn on the headlights or power up the radio, and at a complete stop the car will die if the ac is on

Well, time to start checking your charge system then. ;) Check battery condition, alternator output, and electrical connections.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back