The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

bad idle/low voltage/alternator...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallen

20+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2002
Ashburn, Virginia
ok, i was installign my downpipe and my friend somehow knicked (ok well took a big gash out of) the alternator wire. he was unscrewing a bolt and when it broke loose the socket wrench must have grounded the wire/chopped it up real bad.
now the car runs at 11.6v and the radio and windows only work after i pull out of the parking space. the batt starts at 12.3 before i turn the car on.

is it a fuse?
should i do a better job of reapiring the wire?
replace the wire?

It's probably not a fuse... but check everywhere. If the wires are repaired and connected properly and the battery voltage is still low with the engine running, then you've toasted the alternator [shorted a diode inside it, or damaged the regulator circuit]. Time to replace it--- Sorry.
Don't take my word for it without getting other opinions!!

anyone else got any ideas....why would my interior lights/radio/other accessories not be working?

cause the car die eventually? or still run with low voltage with no lights and window control, etc...

ok, figured it out. took the fusible relay for the alternator out. it was fried...but in a place i really couldnt see. sucks. all this worry for a $2.79 part

The exact same thing happened to me. I was taking of the lower heat shield because i just installed a big 16g and a spark show started....yeah my fuse was blown too.

My alternator fuse is in the fuse box in the engine bay. Its the second one from the left. Remember that you have to undo the bolts on either side to pull it out. Learned that the hard way.

Originally posted by halo23
cause the car die eventually? or still run with low voltage with no lights and window control, etc...

What does that mean if you car runs with really low voltage but no radio, headlights work? My car did that for about 10 seconds, voltage dropped to like 5.65 but shot back upto 12-13..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back