The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

bad idle, goes rich/lean log attached

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexVIII

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2008
Modesto, California
i am haveing trouble with my idle, it goes rich then lean

the RPM;'s go up and down as it geos back and forth,

i cant get the ICS stable

the motor has 180-180-180-180 compression
cam timing is dead on

any idea's

Attachments

• log.2009.05.28-02.elg
    151.7 KB · Views: 114
Idle Surge. I had the same problem when I recently started up my new setup. I had a MASSIVE leak at my TB. If you notice, your ISCPosition keeps raising. How far turned in is your BISS?

BLT and then do the BISS work.

Idle Surge. I had the same problem when I recently started up my new setup. I had a MASSIVE leak at my TB. If you notice, your ISCPosition keeps raising. How far turned in is your BISS?

BLT and then do the BISS work.

thanks for your inmput!

i did a BLT a while ago and i could not find one, but i will check again

Thannks!

do these steps it your shoudl be good
1. make sure you are not venting the BOV-- :) i kno your not
2. set your idle and BLISS properly (or tweak it to whats needed)
*3. do a boost leak test*
4. check your Throttle cable and Throttle Position sensor (volt meter)
5. Clean your throttle body and plate
6. check your ISC motor coils
7. check your 02 sensor and make sure its not bad or bad connecitions
8. check your Coolant Temp Sensor and make sure its not reading crazy (wacks your idle out)
9. ECU possible caps leaking or problems
10. check you Crank angle sensor possible bad sensor (even though you cant adjust it)

11. anyone has any other imput that would help :)
:rocks:

do these steps it your shoudl be good
1. make sure you are not venting the BOV-- :) i kno your not
2. set your idle and BLISS properly (or tweak it to whats needed)
*3. do a boost leak test*
4. check your Throttle cable and Throttle Position sensor (volt meter)
5. Clean your throttle body and plate
6. check your ISC motor coils
7. check your 02 sensor and make sure its not bad or bad connecitions
8. check your Coolant Temp Sensor and make sure its not reading crazy
9. ECU possible caps leaking or problems
10. check you Crank angle sensor
:rocks:

1 not vented LOL
2 i cant get hte ICS stable to set it correct it keeps moving when it gets rich/len
3 will do another one
4 its right at .63v(ECMlink)
5 its clean pretty clean, i cleaned it when i put the 1g tb on about 8k miles ago, but i will do it again
6 will check
7 connections are good no bad wires, but idk how old it is
8 reading 200/203 deg so its good
9 ECU is good just put ECMlink in a few weeks ago
10 just replaced it ### it failed in December LOL

thanks!

you could always try reseting your ECU at worst case senario :( unplug the battery for alittle while and reset the biach :sneaky:

btw iv had some strange cases of idle issue in the past with a few 1 and 2g iv serviced, i could try and work with ya one day if you want to give me a ring well figure it out if no one has any other ideas

In ECMLink there should be options to ground your timing and also your "diag" and then you can mess with the BISS. If you screw it in it lessens the air getting into the engine and vice versa. You'll just have to listen to the engine in how it reacts. Turn a little and then give it a second to adjust.

the ISC checks out to be just fine got 30 ohms from 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 & 5-6

but i did find that the top vac port on the EGR was poped off, and the lower one was almost off

would that have an effect on my idle?

well fixed the ERG vac line... did nothing for idle

still shitty

it seems to be more stable and do it less often and less severe the higher the idle RPM is, like if i set it to 750 it does it all the time and gets really lean,

if i set it at 900 it does it less often and does not go as far between lean and rich.

yea when the car is running,

i believe you only ground the timing when you are checking base timing. right?

When checking base timing I believe the only thing you have to ground is the timing adjuster (the plug near the battery). However, I'm almost positive that to set your BISS correctly you have to ground the timing adjuster as well as the diagnostic port under the driver kickpanel. DSMLink has a checkbox for me to do that :) but I'm pretty sure that's right...check your Chilton to verify.

i am haveing trouble with my idle, it goes rich then lean

the RPM;'s go up and down as it geos back and forth,

i cant get the ICS stable

the motor has 180-180-180-180 compression
cam timing is dead on

any idea's

Check out 1992 Talon Tsi AWD Project for tuning procedures.

Follow his guides to the tee and you'll get damn close. Once I got a feel for how my car reacts to tuning I made minor adjustments to his procedure. But all in all, his stuff is spot on.

well i tryed to ground the timing, and the car does not want to idle if i ground the timing

why does it die when i ground the timing?

Curse you sir :mad:! I now have a similar problem. My idle is fine, but my car dies whenever I ground both my timing and diagnostic. If I find anything, I'll update you with a possible fix.

Found it :D

Your BISS is way too turned in. Do the following:

1) BLT
2) Put keys in ignition and turn to the on position
3) Open up ECMLink and then turn both grounds on
4) Turn out the BISS 1/2 turn OUT. (This should raise it high enough to start and idle somewhat)
5) Star car. It should now stay somewhat running. (If not, turn the BISS out a little more and see again)
6) Now that it is running, adjust the BISS until you get to your target idle RPM. This should also now get the ISC to 30 and your LearnedIdleAdjus to 140 (takes some time for it to adjust so just let it idle a bit once you get the ISC to 30 at idle)

Now see if it sticks once you turn off both grounds. If it changes, re-ground and adjust accordingly.

Now do another BLT. If you find one, redo step 6 :p

Congrats, your idle problems should now be ironed out.

1) BLT
4) Turn out the BISS 1/2 turn OUT. (This should raise it high enough to start and idle somewhat)
5) Star car. It should now stay somewhat running. (If not, turn the BISS out a little more and see again)
6) Now that it is running, adjust the BISS until you get to your target idle RPM. This should also now get the ISC to 30 and your LearnedIdleAdjus to 140 (takes some time for it to adjust so just let it idle a bit once you get the ISC to 30 at idle)

Now see if it sticks once you turn off both grounds. If it changes, re-ground and adjust accordingly.

alright i will have to give that a try tomorrow! i will take a log and post it too!

thank you!

1) BLT

Is there a way to do this without link? I'm having a high idle problem and I just replaced the IAC and it still idles high. I hear you have to reset it but everyone seems to say that you have to have link.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back