The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Bad ecu or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabeem01

Probationary Member
Aug 25, 2018
Springfield, Illinois
So I've been talking to this guy about buying a 1g talon awd. He said he thinks it has the wrong ecu in it so I had him send me pictures of both the ecus he has and they are the correct ecus. He said with one of them the car runs but misfires and with the other it runs until it gets to operating temps then starts to bog and shuts off. Could the ecus be bad or what else could be causing this?

Maybe I'm looking for it in the wrong place but i can't find your car information. Which trim is your car? 420a engine or 4g63 engine. Automatic transmission or manual transmission, awd or fwd.

Are there any CEL on either ecu? Theres plenty of reasons why the car can run bad. It's hard to tell with the information provided what the issue is. Upload pics if the ecu. Also, you can take off the cover and see if theres any burnt spots. Generally, the car wouldn't start if an important sensor is bad on the ecu side. When my ecu failed, I had no power at all. It was just dead.

The car isn't mine I'm talking to a guy that's selling it. It's a 1993 talon tsi awd manual trans. Here's the pics of the ecus.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MD304484 is a 1994 model for gst/ gsx. Mitsubishi parts says also for a GS. MD193299 is for a 1993 gst/gsx. Thats all the info I found quickly. You can open it up to see if it has had work done. Also in the pics I notice the wires that are spliced in.

Ya that's what I came up with too. I just noticed the spliced wires as well. I asked him to take pictures of the inside of both, but it seems like hes just fed up with the car and wants it gone.

I said I was going to give him 4250 for it but everytime i looked at it the worse it gets. With the market right now I don't really know how much it5s worth.

Ya that's what I came up with too. I just noticed the spliced wires as well. I asked him to take pictures of the inside of both, but it seems like hes just fed up with the car and wants it gone.

I said I was going to give him 4250 for it but everytime i looked at it the worse it gets. With the market right now I don't really know how much it5s worth.
I cant comment on how much it's worth. I personally wouldn't pay more than 4k for any dsm. I like to fix it up. If he sounds like hes tired of it, then offer 3500 LOL? I have a buddy that is selling is 1g for 1k to me but it's a project with a fully built motor. I could part it out for more.

Did he say why he has two ecus? I would assume one is correct. But plz open it up to see if it has burnt areas or dsmlink. Other than your ecu question, theres a lot more info we need since we're not there. Do you have pics of the car? I would put in the better ecu and see if we can keep it running.

Ya he has 2 ecus. Guess there's not much I can do unless I go see the car just a pain cuz its 4 and 1/2 hours away.

Here's some pics he sent me. I haven't went and looked at it yet

Here's some pics he sent me. I haven't went and looked at it yet

Guess i can't blame you for being interested its very sharp.

Maybe I'm looking for it in the wrong place but i can't find your car information. Which trim is your car? 420a engine or 4g63 engine. Automatic transmission or manual transmission, awd or fwd.
Just an FYI. The AWD models only came with the 4g63t. (I'm sure you already know! But in original post he stated AWD.)

Just wanting to share correct information.

Car is definitely nice. Make sure you ask for pics wheel wells, spare tire well, and rad support. I'm hoping he has dsmlink because that turbo is probably to big for stock injectors to handle unless its turned down. The upper intercooler pipe should be replaced. I dont see a maf, which will cause it not to run much. Any other specific questions?

Both of those ECUs should be EPROM versions based on the cases and as jpmxrider pointed out, without a MAF and I assume SD software in the ECU it's not going to run very well if at all.

All I see right now is a pile of parts with bad paint. :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back