The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Bad ECU or Something Else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossku69

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
About a year ago I was driving my Talon home and it began to stutter, ran really rough and barely got it into my driveway. Next day it wouldn't run for more than a minute or two and hasn't since. I had it in my garage at the end of the fall and into the winter and just now getting the time to get back to it, but the car won't start and kept toughing off MAF codes, so I replaced the MAF sensor and no luck!

I didn't notice at first, but now do clicking sounds coming from behind the dash, so researching it leads me to believe it's the ECU, however is there anyway to "easily" tell? I took it to a garage and they told me it was the alternator - LOL, right...

ECU is out and I can see some corrosion, but is this worth sending in to a place like ECMtuning to repair, or buy a new one?

Attachments

• Photo Aug 12, 4 28 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 12, 4 28 46 PM.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo Aug 12, 4 28 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 12, 4 28 55 PM.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 81
It's an EPROM ECU so it worth having the guys at ECMTuning try and save it.

The corrosion is pretty well advanced. It still has the original capacitors which is why it's now hurting.

Thanks. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and haven't heard back, but hopefully will soon.

I'm not sure what else the issue could be as to why the car won't run, but everything I'm reading is pointing to an ECU problem.

I can tell from the pictures that you have a problem with the analog to digital converter. There is corrosion damage to the external capacitor on the reference voltage next to the CPU. That's going to cause all sorts of problems reading the voltages from the TPS, BARO, O2, and temp sensors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back