The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad compressor surge, bov wont open..... help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corman12345

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2003
Laramie, Wyoming
OK, This problem is completely baffling me. I have the greddy type s bov. One day i got in my car and noticed compressor surge after every shift. So i took the bov out, took it apart, inspected the vacuum lines and the bov flange. everything was normal. there is plenty of vaccuum in the line when disconnected. The bov just wont open anymore and i get mad compressor surge. boost gauge shows 18 mmhg vacuum at idle. any ideas.

is the greddy bov adjustable?. if so you might need to loosen some of the pressure on the spring. Maybe you have a boost leak somewhere.

the screw is backed all the way out. I don't think i have any boost leaks. i will check tomorrow though.

Corman12345 said:
the screw is backed all the way out. I don't think i have any boost leaks. i will check tomorrow though.

also, make sure you are getting plenty of manifold vacume to the BOV. if your guage shows 18, then the bov should be getting 18 as well. heres a thought, sell the greddy bov, and buy a 1g bov, pocket the money and put it in another mod.

Corman12345 said:

I have the same problem. The screw is backed all the way out and it still flutters. But I think I might have a boost leak. Will a boost leak cause it to flutter?

JwUoNoG said:
I have the same problem. The screw is backed all the way out and it still flutters. But I think I might have a boost leak. Will a boost leak cause it to flutter?

ya.. it flutters cuz it does'nt have enough pressure to open the valve.

Maybe you stripped out the adjustment screw. I stripped mine out and didnt realize it untill I had a horrible boost leak. :thumb: :talon:

I hooked a vac gauge up to the hose at the bov and it shows 18 hg vaccuum. I checked and don't have any boost leaks. I even installed one of my friends Greddy type RS bov and had the same results. I Also forgot to add that i run the blow through setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back