The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bad clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2007
Wilmington, North_Carolina
First off since I haven't edited my profile my talon has a Walbro 255(or at least the previous seller said it was there), and an evo III 16g(running stock PSI, 14b blew up)

O.K. heres the story, fired up my talon let it warm up,was cruising at about 55 then I felt the power give out I could rev it but, the tach. would not move above 1.5k, and the check engine light came on. After a few seconds, it would jump aback up to normal RPMs and accel. fine(no jerking or anything), but then it would drop again and repeat the process. I pulled on too an off ramp and it cut off on me(scariest moment ever going ~50 on a ~35 off-ramp with no power steering, so I hit my breaks and they locked up too). But after it sat for a few it started up perfectly and started driving fine. Then a few minutes later it lost power thing again but went right back to normal. I know you all are thinking "fuel cut", but when I come to a complete stop and try to get it to go in first it wont, the ONLY way to get it to go, is to rev it above 3k and dump the clutch. There was also shifter vibration and a scraping noise when slowing down with the clutch in, and all other gears seem fine shifting wise..Any ideas?:cry:

p.s. Sorry for the long post, i figure the more details the better.

does the clutch slip? you said you dump it a 3k, does it slip? also boosting 3rd gear usually makes it slip. stock clutches can hold 16g power pretty well though. bad clutch really won't make you lose power, it makes you lose th go process.

clutches don't through CEL either

Now that I think about it, maybe a vacuum problem(after you drive it hard it will idle surge from 1-1.5k, and starts running rough)? Also another question for people who have Walbys how loud is your fuel pump? I just started hearing mine(never heard it before), but I'm guessing thats because I just fixed a fuel leak on the fuel rail.

I'm going to say ECU. Check the capacitors for leakage and/or board damage.

You have to dump the clutch at 3k to get it to go into first at a complete stop. That makes no sense to me at all. How do you dump the clutch from neutral into first? To me, that's the exact opposite way to get it into gear :confused:

I'm going to say ECU. Check the capacitors for leakage and/or board damage.

You have to dump the clutch at 3k to get it to go into first at a complete stop. That makes no sense to me at all. How do you dump the clutch from neutral into first? To me, that's the exact opposite way to get it into gear :confused:

First off, I left out that after it would cut out on me, the throttle response was crazy sensitive. I could just tap the gas and it would rev to about 4k.So when I said that the only way to get it into first was dumping at 3k, was because thats about as fast as I could get the clutch out without it revving higher. But if I turned the car off everything went back to normal(accept its hard to start now)

When you have a bad clutch the rpms go up but the car does not move. It does not effect power steering or make your car lag out. You just cant put the power to the ground.

When you have a bad clutch the rpms go up but the car does not move. It does not effect power steering or make your car lag out. You just cant put the power to the ground.

Yea, I posted when I was still mad after the whole ordeal. I dunno what caused it to cut off(thats why I lost power steering, I know the clutch has nothing to with power steering). I just tried starting it up and it took like 30 tries, then it started up fine. when I first tried it, the stock boost gauge flew up to max, which I'm guessing caused it not to start(ECU thinking theres boost and adding the correct amount of fuel, which would flood the engine, or something). Any ideas?

i would check all the vaccum lines, its amazing how one pin hole can cause so many problems. this in no way has to do with the clutch or tranny though

My guess is something to do with the previous Owners Fuel Pump install, that's DEFINITELY where I would start - There is a Test Point Connector for Fuel Pump under Hood - 2nd I'd check Fuel Filter as these symptoms fit that also & he may have stirred something up in Tank that clogged an old Filter - Then AFPR maybe, I would start down the "Fuel" road first - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/277419-afpr-questions.html - If it was jerking & all even a loose Intake Clamp / Boost leak can be kinda like this - Hell I had a Rear Caliper lock up & that WILL "bog it down off the line" & send vibes thru Shifter etc... - Bad Transfer Case will definitely Bog it off the line too - If you can't roll the car by hand something is up along those lnes.

My guess is something to do with the previous Owners Fuel Pump install, that's DEFINITELY where I would start - There is a Test Point Connector for Fuel Pump under Hood - 2nd I'd check Fuel Filter as these symptoms fit that also & he may have stirred something up in Tank that clogged an old Filter - Then AFPR maybe, I would start down the "Fuel" road first - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/277419-afpr-questions.html - If it was jerking & all even a loose Intake Clamp / Boost leak can be kinda like this - Hell I had a Rear Caliper lock up & that WILL "bog it down off the line" & send vibes thru Shifter etc... - Bad Transfer Case will definitely Bog it off the line too - If you can't roll the car by hand something is up along those lnes.

what do you mean "roll the car by hand"? You mean pushing it? If so I have to do that almost every day(its not easy to push 2,000 lb up onto ramps!) As for the AFPR, I don't even think a Walbro 255 is in there, it is not running rich and I looked at the fuel pump cover in the trunk(if you can call it that) and the bolts don't look like they have been broken in a very long time(if ever).

what do you mean "roll the car by hand"? You mean pushing it?

YES.

I don't even think a Walbro 255 is in there, it is not running rich and I looked at the fuel pump cover in the trunk(if you can call it that) and the bolts don't look like they have been broken in a very long time(if ever).

Well Boss WE can't see your FREAKING TRUNK ~! - All we can see is your DAMN POST & your DAMNED PROFILE so how about figure out what the HELL you've got in you DAMNED TRUNK & get back with us~!

& BTW - Merry FREAKING Christmas ...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back