The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

bad cam caps...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateTheGreat

Probationary Member
Mar 4, 2008
dayton, Ohio
im currently rebuilding my motor.. when i got the cams out and looked at the cam caps, i realized they were all scored up... the cams im sure are shot too... i was just wondering can you get replacement caps??? if so where can i? i cant find a damn thing out bout them and im at wits end...+:banghead:

MitsubishiASA doesn't seem to have a part number so your best bet seems to be to find a used head. If you don't want to go that far and your cams are indeed shot, I'd find used cams on ebay and grab the cam caps from a 1g NT 4g63 at the junk yard.

I'm pretty sure you can just slap some new ones in. Just like you can't swap rod caps around without getting the honed. you should talk to your local shop(s) and see if they can even do it and if they can how much it would be, then look around to see if you can find a head for cheaper.

You CANNOT just put new cam caps in the head and call it good. You will have to have the cam line aligned bored/honed which will cost you more money than just finding another head.

how bad is the scoring? if its light you can just buff the cap with some scotch brite and your thumb

it is not uncommon to have lite score marks in alum cam caps.

if it is bad, then the head will need to have the caps cut and the head alogn honed, about $125 per side or $250 for your head.

Some scratches are ok. I actually cut oil grooves in my cam caps occansionally to better lubricate them. The main thing to worry about is that the majority of the surface is at the correct clearance. If your cams don't spin freely (with springs out and lubricated) then the clearance is too tight and you should get the journlas aline honed. If the cam has play then the clearances are too loose and the cam caps should be cut and then aline honed. Also, make sure there are no sharp pieces jutting out which would cut the cam journals. You can take some 400, 600 and 1000 grit sand paper and smooth it out. Dont go crazy, especially with the 400 and 600. Just take off enough to smooth the peaks.

Take it to a machine shop so they can properly inspect it. Unless you have experience with this, which you don't otherwise you wouldn't be on here asking, then have someone experienced look at it for you.

MitsubishiASA doesn't seem to have a part number so your best bet seems to be to find a used head. If you don't want to go that far and your cams are indeed shot, I'd find used cams on ebay and grab the cam caps from a 1g NT 4g63 at the junk yard.

are nt cam caps the same? cause i already had almost 200 bux worth of machine work to my head..:notgood:

No matter what cam caps you use, if you change them from the ones that are on your head now or even switch the position of the caps that are on there now you will need to have them aline bored.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back