The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad AN fitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredom dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2006
Denton, Texas
Hello guys, I just finished installing my evoIII many and I used the same old but in good condition (before the swap) fuel line from my fuel regulator to fuel rail but now it leaks!!! Not from where it connects but from where the elbow and hose meet. My question is, do an fittings go bad?? It looks as if its loose, only one side. Everything was working fine with no leaks before the swap

I'm learning this hard truth too.

Do you mean where the hose is assembled and can swivel? If so there is an seal on swivel fittings and it can leak if tweaked, the fitting is overtightened (when assembling hose, less likely sounding for you) or excessively worked from what I'm finding.

Can try spinning the swivel and taking as much load off as possible?

I just finished putting together my w2a intercooler setup and sprung for -16an fittings (was a mistake initially, now-so more) and they're leaking at the swivels, on the flares...pretty much everywhere.

Awe man!! But why??? Lol this is what Im talking about.

Attachments

• 38296E3F-5C38-46B0-9F7F-98741FB745DF.jpeg
    38296E3F-5C38-46B0-9F7F-98741FB745DF.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 70
The swivel ones def can leak and I have seen AN fittings go bad. I have also gotten brand new ones that weren't machined correctly that leaked as well, so always check the seats of the fittings before welding, installing, making lines, etc.

Any AN fitting can leak, from bad taper/seal, not made properly. Cheaoer brands can be bad from lack of care when making. But the swivels are not the worst nor the best,

The sealing surfaces only need a speck of dust and it will leak! When i did my csr recently, i used about 30 fittings and 1 AN fitting leaked, turned out the sealing surface had a small knick and it caused the leak,

You can open these swivels up and re o ring them but its sometimes easier to swap it out, but remember now you used that hose end it might need trimming to seal inside the fitting again,

I've been selling AN fittings for 15 years now and I will say that it's rare to have a defective one. That being said, it does happen on occasion. It's actually far more common to have a fitting mispackaged. It's also worth noting that I sell domestic-made stuff like Aeroquip, Earls, and XRP. We move a massive volume of these with an extremely low defect rate. Most common defects are usually a locked up swivel or a b-nut missing the retaining pin.

But Chinese fittings have become very popular in the US in the past 5-10 years. It wouldn't surprise me if a correlation existed.

@fredom dsm : What brand of fitting do you have that is leaking?

I've been selling AN fittings for 15 years now and I will say that it's rare to have a defective one. That being said, it does happen on occasion. It's actually far more common to have a fitting mispackaged. It's also worth noting that I sell domestic-made stuff like Aeroquip, Earls, and XRP. We move a massive volume of these with an extremely low defect rate. Most common defects are usually a locked up swivel or a b-nut missing the retaining pin.

But Chinese fittings have become very popular in the US in the past 5-10 years. It wouldn't surprise me if a correlation existed.

@fredom dsm : What brand of fitting do you have that is leaking?
Cant remember the brand but its a well known brand. This was in perfect working order until I took it off to replace my intake Manifold and when I put everything back there was the leak. Im sure it was not from the tread, but the thing was working perfectly fine up until I removed it. I dont know what could've caused it to go bad. Thanks for your reply.

I'll admit that brand definitely is going to be a factor, and cheap Chinese ones are rampant now. I'm mostly just disappointed that I went for them and am having the major issues I am. I bought all Earl's fittings ($) and tried doing returns, but since I took so long getting everything made (which I needed the fittings to make sure I had clearance) I was denied.

Best bet at this point for the OP is to replace the fitting or whole line with non-swivel stuff and chalk it up to experience.

I'll admit that brand definitely is going to be a factor, and cheap Chinese ones are rampant now. I'm mostly just disappointed that I went for them and am having the major issues I am. I bought all Earl's fittings ($) and tried doing returns, but since I took so long getting everything made (which I needed the fittings to make sure I had clearance) I was denied.

Best bet at this point for the OP is to replace the fitting or whole line with non-swivel stuff and chalk it up to experience.
I did. Went ahed and bought a new fitting. But I was upset because the fitting was working as it should before removal... if its not one thing it’s another. The car started but I turbed it off to inspect the fuel line and when I go to turn it back on, it doesn’t. :confused::cry::sosad::banghead: Plugs were wet with gas, new coils, new ignition stystem basically but it does not turn on. :idontknow: Ill work on it tonight some more.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back