The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Bad align bore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeX

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2011
Surprise, Arizona
So, I dropped off my 6bolt block off at the machine shop to get inspected. I get a call the other day asking if I had mixed up the front main cap and thrust cap from a different block because the align bore was off. I do have another block sitting around so thinking I mixed them up I took the other caps in to see if I had swapped them on accident. Anyways, I get another call today saying that those caps weren't any better. The rear main cap fit is perfect, it's the front suitcase handle and thrust cap that aren't fitting. Machinist said that the block is garbage and that they can't do anything. Block came from a running car with a rod knock. I'm inclined to believe the machinist but has anyone ever heard of this happening before and what would cause it? Machinist said due to the style of caps they couldn't fix the issue. I thought the flat portion could be undercut then machined. Anyways, just looking for some advice here. I'll be picking up the block soon and I'll have a chat with him so I'll have more info then. thanks.​

Lots of shops can only do align hones, and not a bore. The bore is needed to fix major issues, or mixed up caps. When you torque the caps down without a crank or bearings how much does your finger catch on the parting line inside the bore?

That is something I will check when I get the block back and I'll post here. Should be by Friday. What are the odds the block is unsalvageable? I find that hard to believe since it was running albeit with a rod knock. Could the crank bore really become so distorted? I'm hoping i can save the block somehow.

The chances of the block being unusable are slim to none. The only time I can recall seeing a 6 bolt block that we couldn't use is if it spun a main bearing or if the thrust bearing was destroyed and allowed the crank to chew the block. Even if the caps are wrong, a properly equipped shop should be able to align bore and hone the mains. The block isn't "garbage". It sounds like this guy either doesn't want the work or he doesn't want to admit that he's not equipped or competent enough to do the work.

We could certainly fix the problem for you with less hassle than this guy or other shops who don't have experience with the 4G63. FedEx or UPS ground shipping for an empty block is around $70. If you send it down we can fix your main cap issue and do the rest of the prep work and return a block to you that's ready to assemble. I'll even offer you free return shipping. Drop me a line if you're interested.

Tony
410-859-3269
[email protected]

What JAM Tony said.

Its not a small block, so they basically do not what to do it.

Cutting the main caps is not much more difficult than cutting the caps on a SBC.

Short of the block being busted into 2 pieces, it can be machined and fixed by a shop that has the knowledge and experience.

I'm going down there today or tomorrow to pick the block up. Any advice on what to ask about in regards to the work not being able to be done? I want to make sure I get the most accurate story/version of why it won't work so i/we can have a better idea what's going on. Tony, that's very generous. I will certainly keep you in mind. Thanks!

Why ask?

They told you what they will tell you.

Now you need to find a shop that will fill your needs.

A couple options. Sides of the caps can be knurled or the registers can be swedged to tighten them up. Easy peasy. In extreme cases on rare blocks it's been worth it to actually weld up the registers a bit and remachine them.

You have a lot of good advise here the main reason Noone like to line bore and Hone them is because first they need a line bore machine. Then they need a way to machine the caps where they meet the block to sink the size of the hole we made a fixture to hold the doubble cap for front and read down most ppl won't do it because they don't know how or can't buy somthing for it or for what ever reason. We made them because we don't refuse work, once in the machine you need to mill about 5-10 thousands off the parting lines and put back on block and line bore to a size (usually .003-.005 thousands )where you have enough metal left you can line Hone to final bore size.. it's really not that hard.

Thank you everyone for the replies, you all have me feeling like royalty over here! Bogus, Bastard, Donnie and JAM. I've lurked around these forums sucking up knowledge here for quite some time and read plenty of good things from all of you. Never thought you'd take the time to address my issues,I feel loved! Anyways, thank you all for your input and advice. I'll be picking up the block tomorrow morning and I think I'll send it to Tony. Only other machinist around here cut my virgin 1g head way past the service limit first go around. It was so bad that the outermost section of the valve seats were part of the cylinder head deck. What all should I send? Block (obviously), crank (probably?), pistons (definitely), flywheel, harmonic balancer? I'll give him a call but if anyone knows that'd be helpful. Thanks Gents!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back