The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad act pressure plate!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDR7919

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2005
Titusville, Florida
Well after my car has sat for the last month or so I finally got a chance to pull the trans.
I found that my pressure plate is missing a finger. The clutch & flywheel have about 12k miles at the most and maybe 15 passes at the track.

Is this a common problem with act 2600 or a install problem? What causes it? The flywheel has a few scratches on it near the bolt holes. Disk look pretty good.

Should I get another 2600 or do you guys recommend anything else?
Could someone remind me what I need to get my flywheel stepped too?

Attachments

• disk1.JPG
    disk1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 319
  • flywheel1.JPG
    flywheel1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 109
  • pressureplate1.JPG
    pressureplate1.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 187
as long as everything was adjusted correctly I would almost say that is a manufacture defect. I have had my act 2600 since 2003 and the PP is still fine my disk is worn and the rivets are loose as all hell but that comes with wear; and i have close to 45,000 on mine. Also I beat the crap out of my car.

you may want to contact ACT.

im gonna tell you the problem because i had the same one, YOU CANNOT RUN AN ACT 2600 WITH A SPRUNG HUB, THE PP FINGERS ON A 2600 REQUIRE MORE TRAVEL TO DISENGAGE IT, SO THERFOR THE FINGERS HIT THE SPRINGS ON THE DISK CAUSEING LOCKOUT ISSUSES DO TO CLUCTH DRAG. I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR TWO YEARS, I WENT 12.9@119 BECAUSE I COULDNT GET THE CAR INTO GEAR ABOVE 4000RPM, I CHANGED FLYWHEELS,DISK, SENT THE TRANS BACK TO SHEP, THEN TO DOGBOX ONLY TO BE TOLD BY BOTH IT WAS FINE. ONCE I CHANGED TO A SPEC STAGE 2+ ALL PROBLEMS DISAPPERED. ACT HAS GONE DOWNHILL IN MY OPINION

I would check with the people you purchased it from. Might be able to get it warrantied.

I had a act 2900 with the 6 puck unsprung disc and hated it. Pulled it out after 500 miles and through in a spec stage 3+ and love it.

im gonna tell you the problem because i had the same one, YOU CANNOT RUN AN ACT 2600 WITH A SPRUNG HUB, THE PP FINGERS ON A 2600 REQUIRE MORE TRAVEL TO DISENGAGE IT, SO THERFOR THE FINGERS HIT THE SPRINGS ON THE DISK CAUSEING LOCKOUT ISSUSES DO TO CLUCTH DRAG. I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR TWO YEARS, I WENT 12.9@119 BECAUSE I COULDNT GET THE CAR INTO GEAR ABOVE 4000RPM, I CHANGED FLYWHEELS,DISK, SENT THE TRANS BACK TO SHEP, THEN TO DOGBOX ONLY TO BE TOLD BY BOTH IT WAS FINE. ONCE I CHANGED TO A SPEC STAGE 2+ ALL PROBLEMS DISAPPERED. ACT HAS GONE DOWNHILL IN MY OPINION

I thought that this problem was only when mixing a new disk with an older pressure plate, not buying a whole kit together? was your problem with mixing or a kit? So I will know for future reference. thanks

Step height is 0.61"; I just checked it because I had mine resurfaced last week and installed a new Clutchmasters FX400.

BTW, If it doesn't stop chattering soon I'm going to jump out a window.

I bought this clutch in a kit and never had a problem with shifting. It was fine one minute and done the next. Im going to talk to act and see if they can do anything for me.

What do you guys think of clutch net?

This just happened to a friends car the 2600 plate was good for about 1500mi. The diaphragm cracked and the pedal got soft. It was on a 8000rpm shift funny thing is car still drove ok but we did not want to risk it, so its time for a twin disc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back