The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Back in an Eclipse!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evolving_sti

Proven Member
Apr 28, 2019
DANBURY, Connecticut
Hey guys happy to say I'm back in an eclipse. Think it was fate that got me back into one. Little back story, when I was 16 I was completely obsessed with the GSX 2nd gen. My first car was a 90 eclipse followed by a 98 RS. Did some boltons and nitrous but it was automatic and hella slow. Went through a bunch of cars and mods. Currently I own a 2018 sti, 2003 evo 8, 2009 civic si and happy to say a 99 gst eclipse with only 31k miles on it and completely stock. All my cars are modded and I wanted to do the basic boltons on the gst. But the tuning seems to be a little difficult . I read that the 98-99 eclipses u need an older ECU to run ecm link and you have to make sure it has some EPROM in it. I attempted to contact ecm tuning to see if they had ECU's to ship for the 99 model, never got a response. So I'm just gona leave the gst with a k&n adapter kit and a hks exhaust, do the maintenance and just enjoy my dream car from my teenage years. Heres a few pics. Once shes registered and road rdy I'll take more pics.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've attempted to email ecm tuning twice with no responses . From what I read a 95 96 or 97 ECU us needed to run it.
97 and 98 have the same ecu...
Then I assume 98 and 99 have the same ecu because they are basically the same car.

Def will. Just a little dumbfounded that my emails have gone unanswered. Their website says they respond to emails quickly. It's been almost a week. Idk what their definition of "quickly" is.
I would definitely send another email after a week though...

Ecmlink may be busy, but I'd send another email for sure, maybe try calling and leaving your info (what I did back when). You will need a 95-97 ecu, 98-99 use black box ecus (similar to Evo 8-9s) and while they are tunable, there's alot more support for an ecmlink setup.

Also, you don't need an eprom ECU, you can have them convert a non-eprom for a fee (what I did). While it costs less if you already have an eprom, it's probably easier/cheaper to find a non-eprom to buy unless they get back to you with good news.

Ecmlink may be busy, but I'd send another email for sure, maybe try calling and leaving your info (what I did back when). You will need a 95-97 ecu, 98-99 use black box ecus (similar to Evo 8-9s) and while they are tunable, there's alot more support for an ecmlink setup.

Also, you don't need an eprom ECU, you can have them convert a non-eprom for a fee (what I did). While it costs less if you already have an eprom, it's probably easier/cheaper to find a non-eprom to buy unless they get back to you with good news.
They are currently not offering any socket services

Trust me every peice of info you guys have shared I've already checked before even posting on this site. As far as contacting them , they have no number listed. Their website states their call volume is to high for their current staff. They also do not offer the EPROM conversion currently. If you try and order it from the drop box it says "Do NOT ORDER". I emailed them 7 days ago with no response and emailed em Monday morning again from a different email address just in case maybe it was something with my email address. No response

They are currently not offering any socket services

Trust me every peice of info you guys have shared I've already checked before even posting on this site. As far as contacting them , they have no number listed. Their website states their call volume is to high for their current staff. They also do not offer the EPROM conversion currently. If you try and order it from the drop box it says "Do NOT ORDER". I emailed them 7 days ago with no response and emailed em Monday morning again from a different email address just in case maybe it was something with my email address. No response. Mone
Well it sounds like this isn't the time. This may be one that you just need to wait out.
That's fine but I dont find it to be a good business practice. A week to respond is absurd honestly. Well we are going over a week now.
What if this was my only car and I'm having issues and need support ? I'm SOL then? If they finally do respond does that mean I'm gona have to wait another week or more to get a 2nd response ? At this rate my be looking at 2 or 3 months just to give someone my money LOL.

They have a very active support group, unfortunately through facebook. It seems that they dont really stay on top of email these days, but you should be able to get any Qs answered there, if you must.

Finding an eprom ecu should not be too difficult. Sucks that they arent socketing non eproms but this isnt a show stopper.

Its worth it dude. I would work on getting your hands on an eprom unit so your ready to go once you get in touch. Once your all setup, you will have access to the ecmlink forums, where you should be able to find any help you need, including support during issues. Issues are almost always user related also, and there is a ton of info and support for this program. Consider excusing their email conduct, although Im not disagreeing with your position on that.

Cant go wrong with ecmlink. Dont give up on them man!!

Hey guys happy to say I'm back in an eclipse. Think it was fate that got me back into one. Little back story, when I was 16 I was completely obsessed with the GSX 2nd gen. My first car was a 90 eclipse followed by a 98 RS. Did some boltons and nitrous but it was automatic and hella slow. Went through a bunch of cars and mods. Currently I own a 2018 sti, 2003 evo 8, 2009 civic si and happy to say a 99 gst eclipse with only 31k miles on it and completely stock. All my cars are modded and I wanted to do the basic boltons on the gst. But the tuning seems to be a little difficult . I read that the 98-99 eclipses u need an older ECU to run ecm link and you have to make sure it has some EPROM in it. I attempted to contact ecm tuning to see if they had ECU's to ship for the 99 model, never got a response. So I'm just gona leave the gst with a k&n adapter kit and a hks exhaust, do the maintenance and just enjoy my dream car from my teenage years. Heres a few pics. Once shes registered and road rdy I'll take more pics.

Well, now that I recently opened up Vehicle Profiles to all makes, you can technically create a profile for each of your vehicles here on the site - though at least one for the new 2g would be awesome. :)

They have a very active support group, unfortunately through facebook. It seems that they dont really stay on top of email these days, but you should be able to get any Qs answered there, if you must.

Finding an eprom ecu should not be too difficult. Sucks that they arent socketing non eproms but this isnt a show stopper.

Its worth it dude. I would work on getting your hands on an eprom unit so your ready to go once you get in touch. Once your all setup, you will have access to the ecmlink forums, where you should be able to find any help you need, including support during issues. Issues are almost always user related also, and there is a ton of info and support for this program. Consider excusing their email conduct, although Im not disagreeing with your position on that.

Cant go wrong with ecmlink. Dont give up on them man!!
They emailed me back yesterday and have ecu's in stock. Heres my question that I asked them as well. You guys with the 98-99 eclipse running these older ecus, how are you passing emissions? Arent the older ecus obd 1? This car has to pass emissions once more before it hits the 25 yr mark here in CT

Also if you have the blackbox type ecu you can run ceddy mods.

I 2nd this as an option. I run ceddymods on my 98 Talon TSI, it works fine. Tactrix cable is less than $200 and can be regularly found in classifieds for less.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back