The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Back from the dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmdaniel18

Probationary Member
Jun 12, 2018
West Valley City, Utah
I’ve had this car sit for a few years didn’t know much about it when I got it, was wondering if anyone knew what this is/does was never installed anywhere was just kinda hanging there, maybe a past tune someone did on it? also can’t seem to find my cas wire anywhere 🧐 If anyone could help that would be great

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine's attached on the drivers side of the intake manifold.

And if I could piggyback on this... how important is it to have a thermal connection to the bracket? When I took mine off the bracket it seemed to have a soft gummy material on the back side. Is that to aid the heat sink somehow? Some other purpose?

If I'm not mistaken the PTU also handles the Tach signal and I think it's there to help mitigate any vibrations or shock to the PTU. The bracket may also serve as a heat sink at the PTU does get hot without the bracket. It will work without, but it probably diminishes the lifespan of the PTU.

Mine's attached on the drivers side of the intake manifold.

And if I could piggyback on this... how important is it to have a thermal connection to the bracket? When I took mine off the bracket it seemed to have a soft gummy material on the back side. Is that to aid the heat sink somehow? Some other purpose?
His is a 2g and the ptu sits on top or below the fuel rail unlike ours.

@Dsmdaniel18 your throttle body bolts are loose fyi.

I have a '96 also, it should be attached to a bracket right behind the fuel rail. As others have mentioned, I believe the bracket does function as a heat sink and had thermal paste or something on it.

Any "power TRANSISTOR" will need a heat sink to dissipate heat generated during use so it is wise to leave the mounting bracket on even if you don't "mount" it. Its like the transistors in the ECU that are mounted to a heatsink.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back