The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

B&M and clone short shifter 2nd gen eBay Megan [Merged 3-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I got my ebay knock off it was the b@m one. I had to push the bearing in it, any one else have to as well? And When I did that the nut that I used to do so got stuck on the damn rod like thing so I could only lock tight the one side, so the thing wobbels like a mo fo.. so needless to say I will be getting a new one.

Locke said:
I installed a knock-off B&M ebay shifter. I had to press in a bearing and grind some metal off to fit. Took me about 45 minutes start to finish. Most of that time was grinding and test fitting.

Too easy, works great. Will purchase another if I get another DSM.

I didnt have any issues pressing it on. Cut if off (or whatever you need to do to remove it) and get new hardware at the hardware store.

Ya hopefully that will do it. but all in all I would def not spend the 150-180 for the real one. These knock off''s work great, when there tight ;)

Well I went to my local hardware stores and auto zone. No luck with the part so I just ordered a new one. Well look at the bright side I still only paid 80 instead of the 150+ ;).

my freind has an ebay one on his rs and it actually cam apart will doing a down shift YESTERDAY! he might have installed it wrong? i also have one (stole from a junkyard was stainless steal like my tools ;) so i put it in my bucket :thumb: ) not sure if its a name brand but i had it for almost 4monthes now and NO PROBLEMS with me

B&M Knock off for me too. Love it! Never had an issue. Works like a dream.

I just went to ebay and this is the only short shifter i could find. Earlier in this thread there was a post that described the colors of the bases and the quality that went with them, i'm assuming this is the off-purple pinkish one you are talking about. This isn't one of the quality pieces is it?

I've had both, I must say I prefer the B&M. I bought the so called "Megan Racing" shifter (looks like the ebay one to me) and there is alot more play in gear. Also the shift is so far forward I almost smack my hand on the radio trying to shift. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but I did save 70 bucks.

Mine seems to be pretty good. The entire things is mounted more to the left, but I have no issues with it's throw.

If people care for me to, I can take a few photos (and post up, obviously) of the installed height, placement, and gear positions of my cheap-o eBay short shifter.

edit: actually, I will just do it anyways. Tomorrow when the sun is up, if I can remember.

Just installed my knockoff a couple weeks ago. I had a similar install as everybody else, had to press in the bearing and shave some off the aluminum(pinkish) block. I just used a metal file little by little, cause you dont want to take too much off otherwise it will have slop. I also cut 1.5'' off and rewelded mine. It comes damn near same as stock height, maybe a quarter inch lower, and i wanted it a little shorter. To sum it up, couldnt be more happy with my cut-short throw knockoff!

Here are a few pics I promised of my eBay B&M clone, installed..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^^ This is a rear picture of it, showing how it is off center, towards the driver. I don't even notice it anymore.

^^ This is the gear selector in 4th, from the passenger seat. Kramer put a 20oz Mountain Dew for height reference. (Not a good one, though.) It is barely shorter than stock.

^^ This is the gear selector in 3rd. It is only a 2-3" throw.

It only takes a flick of the wrist to change gears.

Any questions? That should clear stuff up.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone had any problems caused by having a short shifter??
My friend is telling me NOT to install the megan shifter i just got becasue he had the b and m and the tranny shop that rebuilt his tranny said that it failed BECAUSE of the short shifter. they said severely worn syncros?

on another note I didn't install it to begin with because the ugly knob that it came with is the only knob you can use with out re-heading the shiter!! I am also thinking of takeing an inch out of the shaft length too. any help is good guys!

The synchronizer's cones are a wearable, thats how they function. A worn cone is usually attributed to age or mileage. Although, if you were constantly shifting very quickly, and not giving the engine a chance to drop revs a bit between shifts, they would wear more quickly.

It comes down to how you use it. I say the shop is feeding your buddy a line of crap.

(Never trust a shop)

yeah exactly,
its not a quick throw shifter,
its a short throw shifter.

any reduction in shift time woudl be do to less travel time from throw to throw.

speed shifting any syncro'd tranny is hell.

Which one did you get? Do you have the link to which ebay one you got? I'm thinking about getting one.

They all look about the same, differing only in the color of the aluminum pivot adapter and accessories (knobs and boots). I'm sure they're all made in China but buying from the same vendor would not be any assurance that the part would be identical.

I just bought and installed one that looks like all the rest on ebay. Like many others I had to grind the pivot block a little and press in the bearing. Also like most others, the shifter works perfectly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back