The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Auto AWD Passenger Axle interchangeable with Manual AWD Passenger Axle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick question. Axles... Missing the passenger Axle from my GSX automatic. Can I use the Axle from the GSX Manual?

To the extent of my knowledge, they are not interchangeable. I'm seeing different part numbers online for a auto vs. manual left front axle.

Ok, wasn't sure... Guess I'll hold on to the axles in case I switch to manual later. I'll tell ya what. If I can pull off this engine swap (never done this extensive of work), i don't think the transmission swap will be difficult.

I really would love to have this question answered because I got the only driverside axle for AWD that advance had, and they don't have another part for a MT driverside AWD on their website. From what I can tell, it looks the exact same as my original, but obviously I don't know for sure and would rather not have to do this install twice...:coy:

Auto and 5spd list different part numbers.

Then show me which that is because A) I still can't find it and B) even with autozone the specs between auto and manual AWD driverside axles with ABS are the same (teeth, splines and length etc). :confused:

The outer axles is the same the difference is in the half shaft

the auto driver side half shaft is longer than the manual. Not by much but it is longer. Ill throw a pic up

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Auto on top
Manual on bottom

It's at least 3/4 of an inch longer

Also so you know. All the other axles are interchangeable.

With the exception of the rear.

All LSD axles are the same but only work with LSD diff

All non LSD are the same but only work in non LSD diff.

Hope all my info helps.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, the info Cornfed gave is correct. Fronts are the same except for the half shaft that bolts to the block and the rears are the same as long as LSD/nonLSD aren't cross-matched.

If you are replacing the drivers side be sure to use lock washers or thread lock to secure the axle bracket.

My previous axle moved around enough to make the axle seal leak which took out my transmission during a road trip. FML.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back