The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Axle replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gt Boost

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2012
Newman Ca, California
So my 98 gsx axle started goin out today and i noticed theres a bracket attached to it. My question how hard is it to do the axle swap since when i get off work i have about 3 hours till i would have to go get my kids. Would it be best to just let my mechanic do the install he could do it in 45 min he said for 65$. Also is it ok to drive it as long as i dont boost hard.

If its the driver side axle. It's the intermediate shaft bracket. And to change the axle you just need to pop it loose from the half shaft after disconnecting it from the hub.

But $65 isn't bad if you don't want the headache.

Ok ill let mechanic do it then so i dont have a migraine LOL

If its leaking any kind of fluid do not drive! My buddy lost his tranny because he did not pay attention to the fluid leaking out by the axel seal it all leaked out and the gears were gone. As far as the change its not hard. Take the tire off then loosen axel nut loosen the lower ball joint and turn the r otor to the side and the axel will come out with a little tap from a hammer. Then make sure the seal is good. But if your mechanic only charges you 65 then just do that. I would

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back