The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Axle Questions Please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63dreams

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
Bronx, New_York
So I've been searching around and I haven't been able to find any direct answer besides that the axles break, or seal to the engine. In trying to replace these, I can't seem to find where or how to learn more about the axles and what causes them to break.

I've read everything from "Wheel Hop" to suspension tuning being wrong.

But what exactly is wheel hop? Like if I hit an apex and the wheel bumps up and down? Or like hitting a speed bump a bit hard?

I currently have a seized Axle to my front passenger side and will be looking to replace it but I also see that the new 2g awd axles don't have ABS? meaning my ABS wont work anymore? When my speeds are over 75 mph my steering wheel vibrates. and the higher up the more aggressive it gets.

I do heavy duty daily driving. Like 2 notches below auto x, but i'm not gentle on the car either. Launch at maybe 2k to 3k. shift at 5 to 6k and alot of taking turns at higher speeds than normal (it throws my body around).

What causes the breaks? Explain them please? And Will removing my ABS make handling the car more difficult at times where I brake hard? How can I remove a seized Axle?

And I was thinking about doing a spider differential on my rears because I've also heard that too much acceleration out of a turn can wreck an axle. Whats the best LSD set up for aggressive daily driving? I just want a flawless vehicle on the streets. Eventually I'll go into auto x (After i get a tre stage 4 installed [would it be too much for DD as well? LOL] and a better clutch + launch control device) and road racing.. but for now I want to have fun. Any help is appreciated :) Thank you!

First off dont be dumb and drive crazy on the streets! Keep it on the tracks where its safe. Wheel hop is when you launch and the car pretty much hops around and violently shakes. You have an awd? I know its really common in fwd but idk about the awd having wheel hop issues. And how is the axle siezed? You mean like stuck in the wheel hubassembly, the trans?

ABS is "supposed" to help in breaking. More of a PITA if anything.

A shock breaks axles, when the wheels hop they are introduced to many shocks of torque. The wheel hop happens when the engine is able to move a excessive amount. When the engines movement reaches the end all the energy used to move the engine is transferred into the axles(shock part) and then the engine moves back to a relaxed position and this process starts all over again.

BTW that is mainly for FWD.

AWD wheel hop is more common in high horsepower cars still running a 2 spider center diff.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

jimbob:

I drive fast and hard when I'm alone on the street. Like at night or in isolated streets. at stop lights with cars around me I usually turtle and give right of ways often. I don't pass on right or press people to speed up if i'm behind them. I'm actually very calm. I just drive hard when I'm alone on the roads and or upcoming turns where I know I can't mess something up OUTSIDE of my vehicle. Just having fun :)

yes I have an AWD. I'll fix my profile right now and have a pic up. I usually forget to include that information. Lol

The axle is seized into the transmission. I also noticed that the hub arm assembly has some play... could that be it? Like I can shake it. but my driver side is stiff. I think those are called the wishbones? Whatever the axle end that doesn't connect to the transmission connects to. LOL (still learning, still very new to vehicle maintenance.)

1996 Talon TSI.

Viperlp: New engine mounts stops wheel hop then? My max desire for hp is eventually 400 to 450 max with a medium sized turbo.

What have you tried to do to remove the axle? You do not know it's held in with a circlip? I use a square shank screwscriver (craftsman in this case) and insert it behind the axle and give it a twist with a wrench. works way better than prying.

when my car was up on the rig, my mechanic states he tried the entire book to remove the axle. also told me it wouldn't be a problem because "its still good"

but that vibration craps my pants.

when I asked "hub assem arms/ could it be that" i meant the vibration at higher speeds. the play on the arms causing the vibration.

I currently have a seized Axle to my front passenger side and will be looking to replace it but I also see that the new 2g awd axles don't have ABS? meaning my ABS wont work anymore? When my speeds are over 75 mph my steering wheel vibrates. and the higher up the more aggressive it gets.

Just trying to clear something up.
You have ABS wheel hubs but do you have ABS axles in the car or Non-ABS axles?

My vehicle isnt drivable at the moment due to a collision after some black ice on el highway. Minor imo. Front end needs to be replaced so I'm taking the time to learn everything I have to so that when I bring it to a real performance shop (not a local mech) I can ask them to work on everything during that visit. I was hoping to get the small stuff done at home but its too cold for that.

Idk which body shop in nyc is reputable to repair the cosmetic stuff. Ill be taking the performance to "Racing Results New York" located in queens. Which should I do first? I do not think the chasis or subsupports are bent or damaged.

Iceman: if everything stock is abs fitted. Then I assume everything is stock. I literally only knew the name of the vehicle when I purchased. I've learned everything reading on here.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back