The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Axle nut rusted solid to the hub. How do I get it off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
So like the title says, I need to get this damn nut off but it is so rusted that it is basically welded to the hub. Obviously these are a pain in the a$$ on any day but mine is so rusted, it's unreal.

I've done all the tricks, PB Blaster, Impacts, breaker bars, 4ft pipes, etc. I haven't been able to heat it up yet. I doubt my propane torch would be hot enough.

So I cut the axle so I would still be able to make progress pulling out the engine. The shaft is still in the hub though. So eventually I will need to get it out. Any ideas? These are the original axles in this thing. Crazy stuff.

Also, any tricks to removing the driver side axle? Do I separate it from the tranny or from the carrier bearing?

I have a similar issue currently. So similar that i'm working on the engine instead of worrying about the axle nut just yet. I've already bent a big F'n pipe wrench between wheels studs LOL. I got to looking and noticed I am lucky my center caps are missing from my wheels and there is enough room to put the wheel back on and get a socket in there. So once the car is on the ground I can break numerous tools of mine to get this thing off :D Good luck!

woooooooow. yea thats a bit extreme, i say oxy torch her off, theres not much to save, you can either pull the hub and axle n torch it on a vice or ground, or pull the axle and hub n just get a new hub n axle. just my 2 cents, but in your case u made need some heat no matter what.

woooooooow. yea thats a bit extreme, i say oxy torch her off, theres not much to save, you can either pull the hub and axle n torch it on a vice or ground, or pull the axle and hub n just get a new hub n axle. just my 2 cents, but in your case u made need some heat no matter what.

Thanks man. It is pretty bad. I don't really know how this happened. The wheel has the hub cover on it and the driver side axle nut was in great shape.

Here's a pic!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

WOW....

torch skills aside.... you can use the cut-off wheel like already suggested but go at it head on...and cut the axle stub and nut in half from the end...

OR... have you tried an Ingersol Rand 3/4 drive impact yet?...bet that will twist the stub off before it breaks THAT nut free...haha

I am having the same issue with my 97 gst. My axle nut wasnt that bad but bad enough i had to split it to get it off.....but then i could not get the axle free from the hub. It will not budge with a lot of b.f.hammering. I am trying to remove it from the transmission end now since i cant get the other end out. Any other tips other than heat and pry? Where do i heat for the outer end stuck in hub?

Help....

It wont come out of the tranny without removing it from the hub first. On my 1g, i ended up having to cut the axle to remove it from the tranny. Then i took the hub to my gfs uncles machine shop. He put it on the lathe and cut the axle nut off. Once the nut was cut off, we pounded the axle out of the hub. The axle nut was basically welded to the hub from all the rust. Never seen anything like it.

But yea you need to remove the axle from the hub somehow first. Hopefully you dont need to do what i had to do.

It wont come out of the tranny without removing it from the hub first. On my 1g, i ended up having to cut the axle to remove it from the tranny. Then i took the hub to my gfs uncles machine shop. He put it on the lathe and cut the axle nut off. Once the nut was cut off, we pounded the axle out of the hub. The axle nut was basically welded to the hub from all the rust. Never seen anything like it.

But yea you need to remove the axle from the hub somehow first. Hopefully you dont need to do what i had to do.

Incorrect, you can pop the axle out from the transmission side with the axle still bolted to the hub. Many people don't even bother taking it out. They just leave them in, unbolt the lower control arms and swing it out of the way.

As for removing the rusted axle from the hub, most of the time you will have to torch it apart and buy a new axle and hub.

I had to buy another spindle hub assembly at the junk yard, i had the same problem almost the same as yours but not to the extreme.

I know thread is old but having the same extreme rust weld on axle nut. Should I try cutting it off with a dremmel since I don't have acetylene torch or impact wrench? Even If I get nut off could it still be a problem getting things apart for changing a wheel bearing? I do have a local dsm guy with a shop who's offering to take care of this axle nut and change the bearing for less than 100 bux so might be worth just doing that, right?

If a grinder doesn't fit maybe you can use a dremel which is smaller? Cut a slice in it then use a chisel and try to relive some pressure

I used a dremel and cut just the castle portion of the nut off(thus leaving a technical hex nut) and was able to get it off that way.

FYI Though, if you do get the nut off(without cutting the axle) more than likely the splines are going to be severely seized. I used tons of heat, 2 cans of deep creep, and a 20 ton press....I blew the seals in my press before I was able to get the axle free......after two months I said to hell with it. Bought new ones

The axle can easily be removed from the trans even if still in the hub, not sure why you cut it.

If you put a slice down the nut with a dremel or cutoff wheel and smack it with a chisel it will separate. That should allow you to then remove it if you can get it to crack. If not, put a slice on the other side, smack with a chisel, and it will come off like two clam shells.

The axle can easily be removed from the trans even if still in the hub, not sure why you cut it.

If you put a slice down the nut with a dremel or cutoff wheel and smack it with a chisel it will separate. That should allow you to then remove it if you can get it to crack. If not, put a slice on the other side, smack with a chisel, and it will come off like two clam shells.

This, i had to do this to the frame rail crash beam nut in the rear. Works like a charm.

if propane does not heat your axle nut up enough, run to the hardware store & get a can of map gas. it burns alot hotter & 9 out of 10 times does anything an acetylene torch will.

Ok so even if you cut axle nut but the hub is hopelessly fused to the axle, what do you do then?

When I take my car to the shop I'm going to bring my spare axle + hub. Is the worst case scenario you'd have to cut the axle and use another hub? Is there anything else to worry about?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back