The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Axle boot is torn! What's best replacement options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
Just seen my passenger CV joint boot is torn quite bad and I have a clicking/popping noise with jittery steering so I'm assuming axle is toast now (tie rods + ball joints are def good). The problem is I don't see many good options for replacement so I might have to go with <gasp> Duralast Gold for $60.

Will I completely regret this on my 1g fwd free modded @ 15 lbs boost? There's no core charge and I really want to hold onto my oem axle in case I eventually send it to raxles. Otherwise I see Napa or Cardone from pep boys but have to give them mine as a core. Also thinking about buying used oem from a part-out dsm. Either way I have to get a new one in there asap because mine's getting ready to fail. Thanks for helping!

You're past the point of boot replacement if you're clicking. I would just get the AZ axle, eventually get the oem one rebuilt and return the AZ axle. You can get cv axles from a number of places cheaper (rock auto, detroit axle, etc) but it is a huge inconvenience if you ever need to return them.
I would stay away from a used cv axle, unless you put new boots on and replace the circlip. why go through the PITA of replacing the axle just to have it take a dump in a couple months? it's not like they're expensive.

The outer boot is torn. After watching youtube vids my clicking sounds more like a bad upper strut bearing. It doesn't seem like an axle problem anyway and I already was hearing sounds in the upper strut area which I thought was my strut tower bar but after tightening it I still continued to hear noise which is getting worse now. So I'm going to remove strut assembly + inspect it and possibly replace with one I have in my basement from my part-out car. If I still have same problem then I'll know it's most likely the axle and probably get Autozone axle because it's in stock locally and they don't need my core.

Last edited:
I'd still vote the mid-grade rock auto stuff, I normally get anything from them in a day or two and they're very good about returning parts, I ordered a valvecover gasket set from them and received the package ripped and missing 2 spark plug seals and they sent me a new one out that day and told me I could keep the original for the inconvenience. Anything else they charge you a few bucks and give you a return shipping label so all you have to do is drop it off at fedex/ups.

I wouldn't screw around when it comes to axle shafts, just spend the money and get a new one, that way at least it's peace of mind. Think of it to being akin to noticing your timing belt auto tensioner is starting to leak (fail) and deciding you'll just put an unknown used one in instead, do you really want to roll those dice to save a few bucks?

If its torn, that's your judgment call. If it were me, I would get a new or reman from any parts store (except autozone, personal preference). Advance has coupons online so find one that knocks a bit off the price. Also Advance's GSP axles are known good replacements. You gotta pull the axle regardless. also... Advance GSP have lock nuts but NAPA axles have the castle nut cotter pin if that matters.

AFAIK Advance auto's online coupon code P20 still provides 20% off to all purchases not already on sale (sort of an unadvertised savings thing) but it only works if the axle is in stock at a store nearby.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back