1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Awd vs fwd flywheel

Posted by Mizzat508, Jul 5, 2010

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Mizzat508

Mizzat508 Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2009
    Londonderry, New Hampshire
    So I did a clutch, act flywheel, and 14b on my eclipse this weekend. I went to start it and the starter just spun. The flywheel is for a 2g awd eclipse, and fit fine with my clutch. It seems like the starter isn't making contact with the flywheel teeth. Did I install the starter wrong? Or is an awd starter different from the fwd? If so, will an awd starter solve my problem or will I need a new flywheel? I need answers asap, so I can give my friend his spare car back.

If it helps I've got a 2ga eclipse gst, I put an xtd stage 4 clutch 2300lb pp, and the act xact 11.9lb flywheel.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

273  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    15.871 @ 93.120 · 2G DSM
  2. LTUDSM

LTUDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    Morrisville, Pennsylvania
    the awd flywheel wont work on a fwd dsm. Get the fwd flywheel and you will be good to go...... and fwd flywheel wont even in the awd tranny,because the tranny housings are different.awd has a bit smaller tranny housing.....

485  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  3. -TunedDSM-

-TunedDSM- Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2006
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Yup, the AWD flywheel is smaller than a FWD flywheel. You'll need to pull the trans and replace the flywheel :(

446  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. Mizzat508

Mizzat508 Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2009
    Londonderry, New Hampshire
    Aaarrrrggggg. Alright. Guess that's what I get for buying the awd flywheel without checking first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

273  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    15.871 @ 93.120 · 2G DSM
  5. spydergotboost

spydergotboost Proven Member

Joined Dec 14, 2003
    feeding hills, Massachusetts
    i got a used fidanza FWD fly wheel we can work something out for if your interested. and im only in MA PM me if interested