The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Awd Tsi manual transmission, which fluid to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SupremeDsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ok so i just had some work done on my transmission it has pretty much been rebuilt. All new brass was put into it and seals and a couple of other things. I was thinking of running the Royal Purple Syncromesh in it. Is this stuff fine to use with it or should i go with something else?

Supremedsm :talon:

I've ran BG Syncromesh and it was way too thin, and I think you'll find a lot of people feel the same way.

Now I use Redline MT90 and it works great, and I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in the Transfer Case. I love Redline stuff.

I used royal purple synchro fluid and had no problem with it but, I would say go with the Pensoil Synchromesh and the auto parts store. If you want, you may go ahead and order the Redline.

I don't know why BG fluid is too thin but, I have been told that us Dsm'rs have been using it for years and never had too much of a problem with it. I have been messing around with dsm's for since 2003 and maybe never realized how thin these fluids get. I'll let you make up your mind.

Dontfeedphil- Explain how the BR Synchromesh is "way" too thin. I have not heard that before.

I used to put in bg syncroshift 2. But have switched over to redline mt90 and sticked with it.

Thinner fluid = Better shifting, but less long term protection. Syncromesh, synthetics, GL-5+, etc.

Thicker fluid = Worse shifting, but better long term protection. Redline synthetics fit here, conventionals, GL-4, etc.

Only you can make the call since you know how much you drive and how hard you drive. I personally recommend a 2:1 ratio of Redline MTL:Redline MT-90 for all daily driven cars.

Dontfeedphil- Explain how the BR Synchromesh is "way" too thin. I have not heard that before.

I ran the Syncromesh for about 5,000 miles and when I drained it it ran out of the trans like it was water, the entire time I ran it I had problems with notchy and grinding shifts.

I put in the MT90 and it's beautiful.

TRE Oil Recomendation <-- Check it out, Jon knows his stuff.

guess ill have to go to autozone and pick me up some of this redline mt90 and see how it goes... hopefully i like it.. ill keep you guys updated.

I ran the Syncromesh for about 5,000 miles and when I drained it it ran out of the trans like it was water, the entire time I ran it I had problems with notchy and grinding shifts.

I put in the MT90 and it's beautiful.

TRE Oil Recomendation <-- Check it out, Jon knows his stuff.

WTF Wow...... Thats some $h!t. Thanks for sharing

I drained the original tranny fluid in the vr4s tranny and put some mt90

Fluids FAQ summary by Brian Hood

Thats what they recommend for climates...

The original stuff was sludge, kinda bad doncha think?

It feels different with the new oil.

Autozone and Pepboys don't carry Redline products. The only retail store that I know of that does is NAPA, and even then they "have it at their warehouse and it has to be shipped." Online vendors such as MAP or ExtremePSI have them at great prices.

well i called the autozone by my house and they have some of it in stock soo????? LOL ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back