The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

AWD Transmission 'hidden' bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLSchwabe

Proven Member
Mar 21, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Is there a way to access/see the 'hidden' bolt at 3:21 in the video without removing the transfercase?

This is the M8 bolt

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see it from up top on the p/s. As far as accessing it, it maybe too tight from up top as the mount is sort of in the way. Never really tried to access it without taking the tcase off

Circle is the speedo and the arrow is the bolt

Is there a way to access/see the 'hidden' bolt at 3:21 in the video without removing the transfercase?

This is the M8 bolt

Even if you could why would you need to? Tcase has to come off to remove trans.

Just use your fingers to trace down the engine block until you feel it, I use a 12mm ratchet wrench from the top on that one.

Thank you @TK's9d2TSi + @nismojones . I'm just trying to check and see if it's there, I couldn't locate it but was able to with the help here. It's there but it feels "righty loosey" RIP :(. Been dealing with some 'clutch drag' type issues.
Good news is you can heli coil it. Bad news is you’ll have to pull the trans. Have you tried adjusting the master rod? Where does the clutch fork sit in the window?

This bolt is important & I would check it out and make sure all is well before moving on to other clutch drag & adjusting steps.

I see so many customer transmissions with the threads torn out of the bellhousing. Just drop the trans and fix the problem.

While it is out, make sure your bellhousing alignment dowels are in place and not damaged.

You can drill it with a 21/64" bit and use a M8x1.25mm helicoil, or if you feel frisky and are very good at centering it, you can drill it with a 13/32" bit and use a M10x1.25mm helicoil.

The M8 x 1.25mm x 60mm OEM bolt is: MD706012
The M10 x 1.25mm x 60mm OEM equivalent is: MF241292

@TK's9d2TSi Completely agree, prolly gunna need a helicoil/timesert. The master rod adjustment is right where it should be and the clutch fork sits where it should.

@Mello Completely agree.

@twicks69 Completely agree, I'll pull it soon. For this particular application do you think I should go with a Time Sert vs. Helicoil?

The spot has meat to do it easier with a helicoil, the timesert is difficult to do for that specific spot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back