The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

AWD tranny in a FWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigB

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2002
Fort_Wayne_IN
Has anyone one here done this? I think all that needs to be done is to remove the V/C and the output shaft to the transfer case. And the hole would need to have a plug put in. Oh and I think the center diff needs to be welded. Can anyone think of anything else.

CraigB

yea my tranny needs finished befoer you start. :thumb:

hope you get some feedback man, and its good to see you on the site.

now respect my authorita {cartman voice off}

You could always just cut the output shaft that goes to the transfer case shorter so it was confined with in the bell housing and mount it up without removing anything else.

Out of curiosity why are you using a AWD tranny? Do you just have an extra one laying around?

Mike

last i talked to craig his goal was to utilize a full double synchro transmission, unfrotunately you can't get dual synchros on all the gears in a turbo fwd tranny.

Yes I have a spare 2G awd tranny that was rebuilt about 6k ago and was not done right. It has a bunch of new parts. I would spend less on it than I would rebuilding my FWD tranny that will not really go into 3rd.

Well the swap is done and the AWD 2G tranny kicks ass 7k shifts are no problem

The shaft and the V/C went in the trash. I used a hole saw to make a plug for the case the my buddy tig welded the case shut.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back