The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

AWD Swap!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
So last weekend I went and picked up a daily driver 93 eclipse gs. Not to shabby, got insurance and tags this week. And so now the fun begins. Friday me and my buddies got the gst jacked way up on stands, pulled the exhaust off, got the rear subframe out and pulled the gas tank.
Today to my surprise, we swapped fuel filler necks, cut out the fwd tank supports, removed all the 99 evap crap, got new bolts in for the gas tank, mounted the gas tank up with the awd straps, *correctly wired the fuel pump for the swap*, put some gas in her and cranked her up to make sure there where no leaks, and we were good to go.
Then I proceeded to cut out the two rear fwd subframe bolts, cut holes for the new mounting points up front, make some support plates for the front mounting points, drop the bolts in, and jack up the entire awd subframe! Bolted her up, hooked up the trailing arms, upper control arms, and shocks and the rear end is done! Im surprised we got it all done today and we still have tomorrow to swap the tranny, axles, brakes, etc. Man I cant wait for awd with a 4 bolt, lsd rear end!

Do Work Son! LOL gotta love AWD

sweet dude. im getting ready to do the same as soon as i find the awd tranny and 95-96 rear end. but sounds like it was a fast job hope it all goes together like it did friday

NICE!

I'm actually driving 3 hours to go pick up an AWD shell this Saturday in preparation for doing the swap in my Spyder.

What procedures / documentation are you following?

What's different on the Spyders? I'm assuming has to do with the rear subframe mounting bolts?

Nevermind..........just read the HowTo on VFAQ.

Eff my life..........

nice, i have a gsx donor car for my talon, I'm going to start the swap over the summer, im also building the engine for it... i cant wait until its done... good luck with yours.... post pics.

- Tom

No I had to do no modifications to the trunk. Are you doing this on a 1g? I have read it is a major PITA to do this conversion on a 1g or nearly impossible. 2gs is mearly a bit of cutting and it all bolts up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back