The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

awd rear lug flange removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoGsxChuck

Probationary Member
May 14, 2013
Lakeland, Georgia
ok am I doing something wrong? have the axle nut off, have a slide hammer, thing will not budge. do I need to just hit it harder? or am I about to screw something up? I am in the process of figuring out the mysterious driver side rear wheel wobble. the bearing and hub seemed fine I figured maybe the flange was not seated properly.

anyone? not sure if these hub assemblies come in separate pieces or what

no idea what you mean by lug flange.....the lugs are seated in the wheel bearing/hub assembly. its all one piece, so you would need to unbolt the hub.

It is all one assembly. There are 4 bolts on the back you have to take off then get a jaw puller and start cranking it is a fun process I just did mine.

Greeeeaaaat.. yeah that's definitely more work than I plan on doing today. Anyone done a write up on this yet?

I dont think. It is pretty simple just a lot of force in it. Just pop the 4 bolts in back of hub off. Then get a big jaw puller and push the axle back with the center shaft while pulling the hub it will come just takes some muscle. I could't get mine to budge without the puller.

Dude really? More work than you plan on doing? Its 4 god damn bolts! and a couple taps with a hammer and it "should" come right off.. I just had to take both of my rear hubs off to put some extended wheel studs in. They only seat in the knuckle about 1/4 of an inch. Really on that big of a job. Quit being lazy.

Dude really? More work than you plan on doing? Its 4 god damn bolts! and a couple taps with a hmer and it "should" come right off.. I just had to take both of my rear hubs off to put some extended wheel studs in. They only seat in the knuckle about 1/4 of an inch. Really on that big of a job. Quit being lazy.

First of all... this is my toy. I work on it when I feel like it, which last I checked is the point of buying project... 2nd, this is my first dive in to the Japanese realm; my last TOY being a 500+ WHEEL HP LS camaro that I personally built from engine pull to block and internal assembly. Im very well aware of what a big job is and isn't. and I'm fortunate enough to have multiple vehicles at my disposal so no, I don't feel like adding the extra elbow grease on my Sunday afternoon when I could be doing something else. being lazy would be paying some Joe Schmoe at some shack somewhere to do the job for me when I have every tool and personal ability to do it myself.
And to my quick flaming friend who offered the introduction to Mr Chilton and Mr Haynes, I've managed to make a vehicle that has been sitting for the last 9 years run quite reliably without their help. my apologies for reaching out for advice from others who have experienced the same issues.

I appreciate the advice Talon. I'll dig into it later this week.

A little extra elbow grease? It literally took me 30 minutes to pull both rear hubs and swap 10 lugs.. It really wasnt THAT big of a deal. No intension of flaming but for someone who is pretty familiar with cars, they should be able to just figure out how to remove a rear hub assembly. 4 14mm bolts hold the rear hub in behind the rotor. No need to remove the E brake drum assembly. They fit inside them.

by no means am I saying this is a big job. it's just more than I thought I was going to get into today. The plan was to simply pop the hub off the axle, see what was making the wheel wobble, and slap it back together and boom. Yes I saw the four bolts, and also looked into new hubs AND axles just in case and after seeing that it didn't just pop off and that also replacement parts weren't readily available, I said screw it, I'd rather hold off, drink beer and play with a perfectly good set of 36DD's that were waiting for me o stop dickin around with the car. I'm sure some of us here can say amen to that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back