The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

AWD/FWD Flywheel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmc67

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2004
Middlebourne, West_Virginia
I am trying to find a Fidanza or a light weight flywheel for my Talon FWD N/T 7bolt but i cant seem to find any thats not either Turbo or AWD my question is will a AWD N/T flywheel work?

I am not looking for a new one b/c I cant afford a new one right now. if someone knows of someone with a used one they will sell send em my direction.

Thank You

On the AWD vs. FWD flywheels the awd flywheel is smaller and the FWD is bigger. If you can use a FWD turbo flywheel then you will not be able to use a AWD one.

I cant use a FWD Turbo flywheel b/c it is to big and it hits the bellhousing. other wise I would already have a flywheel. Do you know if I can use an AWD flywheel if I get an AWD Starter?

Thanks for any help.

The Starter is the same from the fwd and awd. It's the bell housing on the trans moves the starter into the right spot. I'm not sure because I'm not a N/A guy.. I going to say that you will need a neon flywheel. 420a are neon motors.

No, they are not interchangeable because of the flywheel diameter.

Awdboost said:
The Starter is the same from the fwd and awd. It's the bell housing on the trans moves the starter into the right spot. I'm not sure because I'm not a N/A guy.. I going to say that you will need a neon flywheel. 420a are neon motors.

The 93 n/t either used a 7 4g63 or a 1.8 4g37. The 420a didnt go into the n/t dsm until 95 and up.

Currently, Fidanza is only offering a flywheel for the 1.8 and 6 bolt n/t. According to their 05 app guide, they dont make a flywheel for the 7 bolt n/t and probably never will because of the lack of demand. They never made a n/t awd so that should answer your question about that. And no turbo flywheel will work in your application because you use a standard flat flywheel where all the turbo models used a step type flywheel. You might want to check around with other manufacturers for an aftermarket flywheel but I really dont think anyone will offer one for your application. The demand just isnt there with the 7 bolt n/t.

Quasimondo said:
No, they are not interchangeable because of the flywheel diameter.

The question was:

"Is the clutch interchangeable between a 1g AWD to 1g FWD?"

They are interchangeable between FWD and AWD turbo cars (even though the FWs are not the same). NTs have totally different clutch/FW design, so you can not use turbo clutch on NT.

I am going to hope you are right and keep my old clutch. Now I just gotta buy another FWD flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back