The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A AWD Cost for 485HP 420A GS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMitsubishi

Probationary Member
Nov 16, 2022
Minot, North_Dakota
So, I'm in the process of having my 2.0L 420A built to 485HP on a 16G Turbocharger.

I was wondering what it would cost to swap my FWD into a AWD. I know people are gonna start clowning me but, my Eclipse is sentimental and once I start. I wanna make the dedication to finish it.

I'm about $2400 into my Engine and we need about $2305 left for parts needed to make my goal. So, what all would I need? It is a automatic and plan to keep it an auto because of the less time to accelerate.

What launch controller would you guys recommend for a almost 500HP build?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your not making 485 on a 16g. You’d be lucky to break 400. I don’t know any awd transmission that would bolt to a 420a motor to be honest anyway.

-Daniel

I’ll second that, you’re not making 485 on a 16g with a 420a, that’s territory only one person got to with the 16g on the 4g63.

Second off, you’re not all wheel drive swapping. As stated above, there’s no all wheel drive transmission that’s bolting to the 420a, therefore no way to make a transfer case bolt up to it and what not, just not going to happen.

No one here is going to “clown” you, this isn’t Facebook and it’s actually a bit more mature here. However the reason you get the responses you do on Facebook is you post ridiculousness several times a month expecting the response you want to hear and you get the opposite. If you truly appreciate your car there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, however while you won’t get “clowned” that way here we do however live in the real world. This is a community of good people, many of which have been doing this for years. Take that to your advantage and use the access to this forum to make real world decisions with the plethora of knowledge here instead of dreaming what’s not possible and expecting the answers you want to hear to go with it.

Oy. Did you buy a $500 eBay turbo kit advertised to make 485 HP and build your whole plan around that?

Are we sure this isn’t a troll account? If it’s not then definitely gonna have to change your plans, man. Some of the early 2000’s(like 2008-2012) Dodge Avengers came AWD. Not sure how similar their 2.4 is to your 420a but I’d start there.

Two ways this is happening and one is using Evo 8 "everything but the body and suspension" front to back with a LOT of welding and cutting work. Check out Miguel dsm on youtube. This is not an easy thing as the GS and the GST/GSX are not the same. Hell, even a GST -> GSX swap is incredibly painful.
The other way, well, let's just say that nothing is a direct swap. Break out your ruler stick and protractor from your high school kit because you're going to have to learn trig and mig.

How easy is it going to be to cut into a sentimental car and have it down for a half year? Once you start, there's little hope of going back easily.
Also, your budget.. to do the above, think 5x the cost, and that's IF you can find the evo8 gear.

Oy. Did you buy a $500 eBay turbo kit advertised to make 485 HP and build your whole plan around that?
No, I'm having a local tuner shop that just started doing it for me. He built a Turbocharged Honda Civic Coupe and a Integra from just the shell and is really passionate about his work.

He says it cost about 5.5K to turbocharge the 420A to make the power output. The Turbo Kit he choose is about $1.5K with OBX Twin Cams, Weisco Heads and Eagle H-Beam Rods. The turbo kit is universal and rated to 485HP for a Dodge 420A. My original plan was 350HP on a 16G but, since I seen the kit. I might as well go for what the entire kit is rated for.

I plan on having the transmission rebuilt to handle that power plus replacing all the shocks and struts to Street/Track Performance ones. We already have the full Mushimoto Radiator Kit with the shroads and Hoses and brand New Alternator. This GS is basically gonna be a AWD GSX. I'm aware that it will cost a ton and a lot of work that needs to be done. I'm sure he is aware of it as well but, anything is possible even if it sounds crazy. If you keep the passion alive you can accomplish anything.

He choose WALBRO 200LPH HP Fuel Pump Kit from bonehead performance. 4x 1000CC 95LB Siemons Deka Fuel Injectors. Manley 14004 H-Beam Connecting Rods an OBX Camshafts and more on the way. He did order ARP Headstuds for it as well.

Here's some photos of the conversation!

If the local " TUNA" shop said this and is doing it then let him at it. We are not hondas and dont work the same way or anywhere close!

Your goals are very fairly like! It just wont happen not on that stock internal turbo anyway. You are going to need much deeper pockets for your plans but it would be cheaper overall for a gsx chassis to be bought but i know you wish to keep your $500 420a because its close to you.

You mean yes the “new local tuner shop” found a kit on eBay and is building the whole car around said kit.

Also said “new tuner shop” may just be taking your money and has no plans of doing anything for.

-Daniel

Last edited:
I feel bad for this guy. I'm betting this shop is gonna take all his money and he's gonna end up with a 300 hp FWD car.

The only way I could see an AWD set up is if you can find an AWD late 90's early 2000's dodge caravan with a 2.4 but someone still has to figure out what axles if any will work otherwise have to go custom. If you can't source an AWD 2.4 transmission from those years the Early 90's 2.5 transmissions will bolt to the 2.0 block and the flexplates use the same bolt pattern so it could be possible but there are starter clearance issues as well as a whole slew of other problems with bolting the 2.0 420a to a 2.5 transmission.

You could use the rear set-up from a GSX but you would have to fab the rear diff in from the minivan unless the gear ratios are the same which I seriously doubt. And then you have to figure out how to cobble axles together or if that can't be done you need custom ones. And then the minivan driveshaft would have to be shortened and then you'd have all the MAJOR parts to do the swap. You still would need to do a ton of fab work and who knows if the minivan transmission will hold up.

A universal knockoff turbo kit and cheap clone cams off ebay? This is a seriously huge red flag.

"If we need to swap to manual we might as well convert to a AWD GSX" I don't think you're quite getting it -- these are two entirely different propositions. This isn't "well, if you're going to be picking up bread could you also pick up milk?"

What you're proposing could be done, but this 'tuner' gives basically everyone reason to pause here. Also, by not doing the work yourself, you will be in it for labour likely equal to, if not more than, the cost of the parts.

At the very least get everything in writing with signed contracts and progress goals and dated check-ins clearly outlined. Refuse to have conversations over the phone by voice, instead getting all correspondence in writing. It will make a civil suit much easier later on.

Still not sure if this is a troll, or just someone getting taken to the cleaners. Who cares if there are 1800HP hondas. Are their 1800HP 420a's? And Eagle rods good for 800HP? I mean yeah, for a minute or two maybe.

And technically a real 16G is capable of 485HP, but that is at the very upper limit of the compressor map, AND that's not wheel horsepower. That's CRANK horsepower. That's what that "kit" is "rated" for. You're gonna make 300whp if you're lucky, and the auto trans is gonna "nope" out of your life the first time the boost hits from the 16G. But, I say do it. Prove us all wrong. Take lots of videos and maybe even do a livestream the first time you hit boost after it's done. We all want to see that.

Still not sure if this is a troll, or just someone getting taken to the cleaners. Who cares if there are 1800HP hondas. Are their 1800HP 420a's? And Eagle rods good for 800HP? I mean yeah, for a minute or two maybe.

And technically a real 16G is capable of 485HP, but that is at the very upper limit of the compressor map, AND that's not wheel horsepower. That's CRANK horsepower. That's what that "kit" is "rated" for. You're gonna make 300whp if you're lucky, and the auto trans is gonna "nope" out of your life the first time the boost hits from the 16G. But, I say do it. Prove us all wrong. Take lots of videos and maybe even do a livestream the first time you hit boost after it's done. We all want to see that.
Seen a few sets of Eagle h beams get into that territory here in shootout country, but I’m by no means saying it’s a good idea and that does not in anyway make them rated for it haha, but it has been done.

Seen a few sets of Eagle h beams get into that territory here in shootout country, but I’m by no means saying it’s a good idea and that does not in anyway make them rated for it haha, but it has been done.

Same can be said for stock rods. There's exceptions to everything honestly, but as a rule of thumb you shouldn't just be like "yeah o-star made 900hp on an unopened block, I'm totally fine to do the same" or "yeah they're good for 800hp brah". :p

Woah....Id personally steer clear of this WHOLE scenario unless you want to be in the hole a whole lot of money. Sentimental value or not, it seems this situation is the good ol easier said than done. Especially the plans you have in mind. Can it be done? Maybe...but theres a reason why it isnt common. Also, Id stay FAR AWAY from someone who is getting a parts list off of Ebay and doesnt seem to have ANY experience in this platform.

Same can be said for stock rods. There's exceptions to everything honestly, but as a rule of thumb you shouldn't just be like "yeah o-star made 900hp on an unopened block, I'm totally fine to do the same" or "yeah they're good for 800hp brah". :p
Exactly why I said doesn’t mean someone should LOL, hell I know numbers on Erik’s first bottom end that out did ostars old record, and while I won’t give that away I will say that was sitting at 230k miles, and I don’t condone that either haha

No, I'm having a local tuner shop that just started doing it for me. He built a Turbocharged Honda Civic Coupe and a Integra from just the shell and is really passionate about his work.

He says it cost about 5.5K to turbocharge the 420A to make the power output. The Turbo Kit he choose is about $1.5K with OBX Twin Cams, Weisco Heads and Eagle H-Beam Rods. The turbo kit is universal and rated to 485HP for a Dodge 420A. My original plan was 350HP on a 16G but, since I seen the kit. I might as well go for what the entire kit is rated for.

I plan on having the transmission rebuilt to handle that power plus replacing all the shocks and struts to Street/Track Performance ones. We already have the full Mushimoto Radiator Kit with the shroads and Hoses and brand New Alternator. This GS is basically gonna be a AWD GSX. I'm aware that it will cost a ton and a lot of work that needs to be done. I'm sure he is aware of it as well but, anything is possible even if it sounds crazy. If you keep the passion alive you can accomplish anything.

He choose WALBRO 200LPH HP Fuel Pump Kit from bonehead performance. 4x 1000CC 95LB Siemons Deka Fuel Injectors. Manley 14004 H-Beam Connecting Rods an OBX Camshafts and more on the way. He did order ARP Headstuds for it as well.

Here's some photos of the conversation!

Who's sponsoring your GS? That's pretty cool to be honest.

Also, I was going to recommend this thread, but seeing that you guys seem to already have parts coming then I guess that won't help much. Definitely make videos of this build though, I'd love to see how it goes!

With an AWD swap obviously the stock trans will not be used. So what will be used? Probably not something that will hold 485hp, and also probably doesn't have many aftermarket options. You say you'll get it rebuilt to handle the power. Ok. But what if the necessary parts do not exist to do that? Know anybody that can produce some?

Here's my honest opinion. Keep it FWD, manual swap it, install an LSD and a GOOD clutch setup (not Ebay), and get some good tires. The only limits to your launch traction will be driving skill, tire compound, and wheel hop (which is correctable).

And something else. If your "tuner" hasn't already ordered the OBX cams then tell him not to. Those are completely garbage. On stock engines the lobes round off. On a high rpm high horsepower engine I could only imagine the damage you would encounter. I know cam choices have become very limited for our 420a here lately but those are not the solution. If you can keep throwing thousands of dollars at this guy then surely you can pay what it takes to get name brand cams (Crower, Brian Crower, Crane...)

Now onto the topic of launch control. MS3 has integrated launch control. With the extent of modifications you have planned for the car you will need MS3. I suppose MS2 would suffice, but like I mentioned with the money earlier. It would be foolish of the tuner to install a turbo and internals on the stock ecu. And you would only reach half your goal, unless the engine blew before then.
We already have the full Mushimoto Radiator Kit with the shroads and Hoses

I question this as well. Mishimoto does not produce any radiators, shrouds, fans, or hoses that will fit a GS. They do make this stuff for turbo models, but only the radiator can be used on our cars. And that requires using a Neon water pipe. So sure he could be using a Mishimoto radiator, but there is no "kit".

I'm not trying to bash you or the idea in any way and I'm sorry if it came across that way. But there is clearly a lot of information that you do not understand about your vehicle. And I think it's safe to say that your tuner does not either. Do some research about this stuff. You could know more about your setup in 1 day than your tuner does if you just read through the forums. But whatever happens, good luck and my condolences to your bank account. I have an absurd amount of money invested in my 98 RS and it's nothing like what you're wanting. Not AWD, not turbo. Just a built 420a and built NVT-350 on MS3. I threw those thousands just like you are, but the difference is I already knew exactly what I needed to get where I am. And you and your tuner do not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back