The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

AWD Automatic Transmission Interchange Problems...Need Advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stangmurdera

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2004
Charlotte, North_Carolina
I am having a problem with a transmission I sold to a guy and it is a problem I have never had. Here is the story:

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD Automatic

He said he already had a 95-96 transmission in it so the transfer case was for the 95-96 car. However, that is not the problem. He says the case is different and the driver's side axle that came out of the car is too short. He also said there is a spacing issue with the torque converter and pump. He says that when he bolts it to the flexplate, it pulls the converter out of the pump.

As far as I know, the only difference between the 95/96 and 97/99 transmissions is the gear ratios so the transfer cases have to match. Does any of his problems make sense? It is a transmission shop that is doing the job and I have spoken with the mechanic there. Here are the transmission codes if it helps:

His original Transmission: W4A33K1UPQ2

The one I sent: W4A331FM6

Can anyone help? I am a parts dealer and can give you a heck a deal on parts for your assistance!

It's like the one you sold was a JDM Tranny and will not fit, the Flex plate is different, JDM is flat which USD has a light angle to bring the converter out of the Engine, (towards the transmission).

They need a different Flex plate to be able to fit.

Check this out, It will be a very good help.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/automatic-tranny/290919-95-2g-awd-auto-trans.html

Sorry, That's not the link I wanted to insert.

I can't find the one I looked before, It has a how to.

However, the JDM has a flat flex plate and the USD has an angle flex plate that bring the converted towards the transmission.

They just need to get a USD flex plate to be able to install the transmission,...

Sorry I'm kind of rush, But I will look for the link and post it here for you.

It has all what it needs to make it work.

Last edited:
So if it is a JDM transmission, I just need a flex plate? Anybody know where I can get one? What about the axle problem? Can anybody help?

JDM transmissions do not have a lockup torque converter even if it is a 2g style jdm trans. The TQ on the USDM is much wider then the JDM units so that will cause a lot of issues. And the interment shaft is longer on a USDM trans.

So are all auto gear ratios the same for the t-case?

Last I knew, 90-99 auto DSM's were all the same gear ratios, so any transfer case will match. And a 95 auto transmission is no different than a 99 auto transmission. Sounds like an install error to me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back