The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G AWD 5th gear options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachdavidc

Proven Member
Jun 22, 2014
Bridgeton, New_Jersey
Hello guys! I have a 1997 gsx. I attached a picture of my 5th gear and 5th intermediate gear. As you can see they are slightly damaged. Can this be fixed? What are my options here? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_173417.jpg
    IMG_20210220_173417.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210220_173438.jpg
    IMG_20210220_173438.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 70
Replace the gears with what? They are discontinued and finding these transmissions are quite hard. Yes I do know what caused it. This transmission was from a donor car and they literally beat this thing. The intermediate gear was torn up, center differential was blown, and a bunch of debris in the transmission. I tore it down, replaced everything but 5th gear. I can not find replacement parts.

Thank you very much. I'm going to see what I can come up with.

Still no luck on the search. Can't come up with anything. Anyone else with some ideas?

You have a picture of the other side of the chipped portion of 5th? If it’s as minimal as it is in the 1st pic I’d just clean up up and use it. Theres a constant mesh with helical gears so with your chip I don’t think it’d be anything detrimental to function. You can see the contact pattern where it’s shiny vs dull. But I can only see the one side of it from the pic, I could be wrong though- maybe the experts could chime in.
Either way I’d hold off overseas parts, there’s quite a few guys here I’m sure will have it for yah, they probably just haven’t seen this thread.

If you wanted to skip ahead- you could use a paint marker to see if/how much the damaged area protrudes into the contact area. You’ll know right away if it is worth using or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back