The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Avoid OMNI MAP sensors - other suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303_2G

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Denver, Colorado
First off I want to say how disappointing OMNI Power map sensors are.

I have finished my build and incorporated the OMNI 4-bar GM style map sensor into my custom harness, all to get the car running, and have the constant issues that everyone else has with their OMNI map sensor. This left me broke down on the side of the road when I diligently took action to make sure nothing was gonna fail and BAM, unforeseen issue.

When doing research on these you’ll find plenty of terrible reviews and have NO idea how they stay in business 🤯. I reached out as suggested and Bob from OMNI said he’ll ship a new right out. 2-weeks later still nothing. 😆 What a joke, people please DO NOT purchase anything from these scammers taking China sensors and slapping their worthless name on them! If I do get it in the mail it’s going straight to the trash.

What I need is a suggestion of some better quality map sensors, let’s hear everything you guys have! I know the AEM is a nice unit however $160 for a map is hilarious. Preferably 4-5 bar OEM AC Delco’s, we need part numbers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Everything is trash now days.

My buddy had a map sensor code on his 4.2 GMC Envoy. He asks me what brand to buy so I tell him ACDelco, so he gets it and I put it on. Vehicle no longer starts. I put the old one back on and it starts. He orders the cheapest "wang shun fun" brand one off flea-bay for like 10 bucks shipped and it runs the vehicle and the code goes away after a couple days. I've come to the conclusion everything you buy has a good chance its trash no matter the brand.

I bought a ACDelco radiator for another friends Tahoe and there was no threads for the drain petcock and of course I noticed that after I had installed the dang radiator. Another time I was doing some steering work on that Tahoe and got a pitman arm for it which literally didn't have the hole for the pitman arm to go thru. Got my money back on this stuff but it's ridiculous the low level of quality control on this stuff. It would seem that these brands are now just riding on their names alone.

I would recommend the AEM map sensors. I run their 5-bar, it's been durable, accurate, & have never had a problem. It must be coming up on 20 years old. When I purchased mine I got the more expensive stainless body advertised as laboratory grade & have never regretted it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I always had issues with the OMNI sensors. I think I’ve tried 4 different ones and maybe one actually worked for some time. The last time I was running on SD for trial and error I was on some eBay generic GM style 4 bar and it’s been working better than the Omni sensors

I would recommend the AEM map sensors. I run their 5-bar, it's been durable, accurate, & have never had a problem. It must be coming up on 20 years old. When I purchased mine I got the more expensive stainless body advertised as laboratory grade & have never regretted it.

I have been considering the AEM as well. The Omni's have been awful for me. If you are running ECMlink can you send a log with your AEM sensor? I am curious how smooth the signal is given the signal width is the same (5V) but the extra 14.7 psi of range on the sensor means the overall resolution is worse.

Would be curious to see what yours looks like before committing to the swap.

Yah this sucks to hear. Bought the Omni 4-bar last year to add to my parts board for the build.

It's not that they don't work. They just don't seem to last. Typically you can tell it's going before it dies completely. Signals saturate to the limit of vac/boost for a couple samples. Then return to normal. Carry a spare and it won't be too much of an issue.

This is the one I run, and it has stayed running strong. I set it up in link just like the AEM 5 bar. Very reliable

How long have you had it?
I'd be curious as well. The pricing is way better than AEM. Same 0.5v - 4.5v scale. They look identical which makes sense as I'm pretty sure AEM is rebranding an industrial sensor of some sort.

I am curious how smooth the signal is given the signal width is the same (5V) but the extra 14.7 psi of range on the sensor means the overall resolution is worse.
ECMlink on my 1g reads my 5 bar AEM MAP sensor in increments of about 0.375 psi. The raw voltage logs in increments of about 0.02 volts. Looks to me like ECMlink is reading voltage with 8-bit resolution. (5 volts divided by 256 steps = .01953 volts per step)

I was worried a little about the resolution when I went from a 4 bar to a 5 bar, but I don't notice anything different really about how the car runs. I had a 4 bar Omni for a few years before switching to the AEM. My AEM is the stainless one and I mounted it remotely (on the body). The Omni was also mounted on the body in about the same place and it was still working when I took it off the car. But I wanted one less thing to put me waiting on the side of the road for a AAA flatbed and I figured this switch would be a step in the right direction.
The Omni sensor was in my car from 2016 to 2021.

Here's a log with the AEM:

Attachments

• log.2022.06.14-02 drive volcano road, 26.9 psi at 867.elg
    868.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
7 years maybe, I tried the Omni , then a lower resolution 3.5 bar from on green performance and both failed quickly. I reinstalled this one and never had any issues.
That’s awesome to hear. Definitely worth having on standby for if or when the Omni decides to take a shit. Price is great too.

Never a problem with mine ten years with the same one.
Same. Mine has been working for years with zero issues.

I have finished my build and incorporated the OMNI 4-bar gm style map sensor into my custom harness all to get the car running and have the constant issues that everyone else has with their OMNI map sensor. This left me broke down on the side of the road when I diligently took action to make sure nothing was gonna fail and BAM, unforeseen issue.
What was the issue? Do you have a log?

Even with the sensor completely unplugged, the car should still run well enough to limp it home. I'd bet there is something else contributing to your problem if the car was dead on the side of the road, that is, if the MAP sensor is in fact faulty.

What was the issue? Do you have a log?

Even with the sensor completely unplugged, the car should still run well enough to limp it home. I'd bet there is something else contributing to your problem if the car was dead on the side of the road, that is, if the MAP sensor is in fact faulty.
Isn’t the map sensor correct signal absolutely necessary when running on SD?

I just got an AEM 5 bar installed last night with car running great now but has not seen boost yet in where my issue started, if I get on boost it faulted to the baseline -28.9hg and immediately studder and die. Can always restart but immediately runs rough and dies until about 2-3 hours of waiting minimum. A quick search showed tons of examples here on Tuners and many other sites not only DSM showing same exact issues with the GM style Omni 4-bar.

I will post some logs when I get home, I have one where it was driving on street and one from doing anti lag to replicate the symptom and immediately after seeing boost it defaulted and died (video too.)

I’ve been running a $14 ebay Omni style 3 bar for almost 3 years now with zero issues. Maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe it’s because the sensor isn’t mounted to the car where it’s getting shook like hell. (My sensor is simply hanging from the vacuum line)

I’ve been running a $14 ebay Omni style 3 bar for almost 3 years now with zero issues. Maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe it’s because the sensor isn’t mounted to the car where it’s getting shook like hell. (My sensor is simply hanging from the vacuum line)
Mine sat new in box from 2016, recently installed and drove around neighborhood just fine until started seeing boost and fluctuating incorrect numbers vs my Innovate log

Isn’t the map sensor correct signal absolutely necessary when running on SD?
I just got an AEM 5 bar installed last night with car running great now but has not seen boost yet in where my issue started, if I get on boost it faulted to the baseline -28.9hg and immediately studder and die. Can always restart but immediately runs rough and dies until about 2-3 hours of waiting minimum.
No, a MAP signal is absolutely not necessary to make the car run. Albeit, the car won't run well, but it will (rather should) run. The issue you're describing doesn't sound like a MAP sensor issue, or at least, not exclusively.

If I had to guess, your tune is likely...Well, how should I say this, all f***ed up. Post a log (doesn't even need to be while the car is running) and I can possibly confirm my assumption.

I will post some logs when I get home, I have one where it was driving on street and one from doing anti lag to replicate the symptom...
Definitely curious about this little tidbit?

I'm running a "OmniPower Mitsu-style 4-bar MAP sensor" with no issues on a DSMLink V3 SD setup.

I know this is different than what 303_2G is running and likely doesn't help much. I'm wondering if OmniPower stuck their name on a batch of suspicious electronics/hardware, GM style MAPs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back