The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Automotive technical schools gauging interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubversionX

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I've been considering making automotive work more than just a hobby, and was wondering what degrees and certifications I can get in the automotive industry. I have background certifications with COMPTIA and Microsoft, but I'm interested in what's out there in the way of R&D and automotive performance.

There are a lot of people on this site who have a lot of professional experience in these departments, and I'm interested to know what steps were taken, and what schools you think worked the best.

I'm enlisted service for the next couple of years, so I'm also wondering if there are correspondence courses I can take that would help prepare me for afterward.
Tuition won't be too tough, as I'll try to ride out the Navy's Tuition Assistance program or the GI bill.

I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about a few different schools; UTI, Avondale, ATI, and Wyotech, but I'd like to know what other schools are out there, and what your feelings are about them. Hopefully this thread gives others some insight to a potential future with auto mechanics as well. I'll try to do some more research as well, and post my findings here too.

Coming from someone who has worked with and known quite a few mechanics of the years; if you enjoy this as a hobby then don't pursuit it. Most of the mechanics I've known end up really disliking their job after a while; for a few reasons.

1. In order to make money, you have to be fast... and sometimes that means cutting corners. This tends to happen more with warranty work at dealers, since the manufacturers don't like to pay a whole lot for warranty repairs. Honest mechanics still tend to treat warranty work and customer pay work differently.

2. It's a hard labor job. As you get older this can take a toll on your body.

3. Since they work on cars all day; their own projects and such take forever to complete (if at all) simply because they are beat from working on them all day.

I've never worked as a mechanic, but worked in the parts department at a few dealers over the years, and this is what the most common "complaints" were.

Now if you go into a more R and D type field, that's different since that's engineering. The school listed above are for the service end. You'd have to go to a more traditional school for an Automotive Engineering or Auto Engineering Technology degree. It doesn't have to be a fancy school, either. Most community colleges out there offer engineering tech degrees. I personally have an Associate's Degree in Auto Engineering Tech. Then decided to go to Art School.. long story, but kinda wish I would've just stuck with the first one. But the Associates' Degree can get you into quite a few R and D places where you assist the engineers on their projects.

That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to dip my feet in the water; I used to love working on computers until I started working as an Information systems tech, and now I hate it. So I'm just testing the waters for the time being, and seeing what's out there, because I know what it's like to pursue a passion and to be let down by it. I've heard different things from different people; some who have gotten into mechanics and hated it, and some who have loved it. There are some people on here who have completely blown me away by the products they've made, and I'd like to see how broad the spectrum for potential can be. I'm not certain that this is something I'd like to make a career out of, but I'd like to see what options there are, before I discourage the idea of it.

Gotcha! Well, whatever you decide.. best of luck to you :) The one good thing is there's usually always a demand for good mechanics!

What are you trying to do? If you are considering more of the high performance side I would prefer the School of Automotive Machinists.

Their website looks promising; did you go to school there?

I'd like to hear a lot of personal experiences with these places. Engine building would definitely be under consideration..

Penn State Behrend offers an MET (mechanical engineering technology) program that focuses on hands on engineering design work. It's a good program for people wanting a practical approach to engineering design. If you're interested in going there I know a few people, PM me and I can introduce you.

I graduated my BS in mechanical engineering there and had many friends in the MET program.

Penn State Erie-School of Engineering-METBD

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back