The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Automotive Tech. Going To School.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazardous

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2009
Boise, Washington
Im going to school here soon. Hopefully if everything works out, as early as this spring.

Hows the job outlook for Auto Techs? I heard it was always good, and one of the least affected by the economy?

Also.. How are the wages? I plan on doing side work. I love working on cars so if the wages are nothing spectacular which I dont believe they are, Im fine with that.

Eventually the ultimate goal, like Im sure it is for a lot of guys is to open my own shop. Me and my friend have a decent plan worked out.

This is where im going. Tell me if the curriculim looks ok.. Ill be getting a AAS degree and 6 different certificates in different areas.

Automotive Technician - Spokane Community College

Anything I have heard from friends and acquaintances who have gone through auto mechanics school seems to tell me that getting a position in a dealership is far better then getting a position in a small general mechanic garage. I've been told that if you end up in a sketchy place you will take a lot of crap and do a ton of work during your apprenticeship, and in the end they easily can just let you go. Also, it seems that given that most new cars are packed with technology and all sorts of electronic and computer stuff, that small garages might not even be able to service half the stuff on new cars. Especially when you are talking about hybrids and such

Unfortunately working for Satan at the dealer is the best paying gig, and chances are they'll write something into your work contract that specifically states side work is grounds for termination.

Unfortunately working for Satan at the dealer is the best paying gig, and chances are they'll write something into your work contract that specifically states side work is grounds for termination.

Lol.. I would love to see them catch me.

So is the general consesus that a dealer is the way to go?

Lol.. I would love to see them catch me.

So is the general consesus that a dealer is the way to go?

Oh I totally support moonlighting on the dealerships. I'd rather see the money going into the hands of individuals rather than corporations or franchises. When the time comes just be careful. If word got out, you'd be shitcanned with a horrible reference in the industry.

I am at Rockingham Toyota in Salem, NH and our techs love it here. Main stream dealer is the way to go. Ever think about going Toyota or honda?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back