The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

AutoMeter Short Sweep Electronic Oil Pressure Gauge Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Awhile ago, I bought an AutoMeter short sweep electronic oil pressure gauge for my build. I finally got around to installing it along with the sending unit and remote sending unit kit. It wouldn't work, the gauge always reads 0.

So thinking either my sending unit and/or the gauge itself was faulty (bought it used), so I bought a brand new one on ExtremePSI. Same exact gauge as my first one. I installed the new one with sending unit, this one isn't working either.

The instructions are pretty self explanatory.

S-terminal on gauge to the sending unit.
I-terminal on gauge is going to a power source, in my case I have it running to my distribution block for my battery relocation. This is also where I have all my power source wires (lights etc) for my other gauges going as well.
Ground-terminal of the gauge is running to a metal bracket bolted under the dash. I have other grounds going here as well.

I've done some searching and seen some guys have to run a separate ground on the sending unit itself, even though it's mounted in my fender well on the frame. But just in case, I ran a ground wire going from the car to the sending unit via a hose clamp around the sending unit. Still won't work, at all.

Am I missing something here? The chances of having yet another faulty gauge or sending unit seem pretty slim.

I think a bad ground (either at the gauge or sender) would peg the gauge or make it read high. I would re-check the 12V source you're using. All the other gauges that you have hooked up to that same source work fine?

I think a bad ground (either at the gauge or sender) would peg the gauge or make it read high. I would re-check the 12V source you're using. All the other gauges that you have hooked up to that same source work fine?

Yep, the gauge lights are also running to the same power/ground from the gauge. Same with the mechanical water temp gauge lights. So with that said, the power/ground from the gauge light on the oil pressure gauge is going to the same power source as the power/ground wires for the sender.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back