The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G DSM Automatic Transmission Tear Down and Assembly Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Made a few videos that I posted up on Facebook but I know that information can get lost very quickly. I'm doing an auto swap and wanted to tear it down to make sure everything is clean and has good parts along with doing a few upgrades. First time ever working on an automatic and the information is very limited when it comes to videos so figured I may as well make some. I mean I've already made a lot of Ecmlink videos so why not this? Sorry I didn't start right at the beginning of the tear down but you'll get the picture. The eighth video was my last of today which is where I got stuck. I'll make more later. Have parts that need ordering anyway. Alright, without further ado.....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
This was just a magnet. I didn't know. Lol.

I wanted to throw these videos in here because they're related, even though I didn't personally make the videos. Figure it's better to have them all in one place. I'm throwing in the valve body removal and installation, servo, shift kit videos and basically all dsm related videos for the automatic tranmissions. I'll make more of my own when and if needed but I'm sure you guys would appreciate all transmission videos for our cars being all in one place.

Valve body and shift kit videos. I watched the shift kit videos maybe a gazillion times to make sure I didn't have anything messed up and also referred to the instructions as well. I'd recommend looking at both. Not just the videos or just the instructions. Use both as they each have good information needed.

Servo. Definitely recommend having a good set of snap ring pliers for this part. Mine suck and made it very difficult to get out the two snap rings.

End clutch kit

Other transmission tips

Respectfully, I would like to add something that's possibly of help here- that 'dot' or id mark on the rear clutch drum spline area (very visible in your video) is for the purpose of installing the shaft in it's correct orientation. You would 'straddle' the dot with the blank spline areas that serve as the apply holes for the rear clutches if that makes sense.

For whatever reason, the one you're posting isn't playing for me so I'm not sure which video you're referring to. But I'm unsure if you saw the last video I posted where I "think" I'm addressing what you're referring to. Can you please confirm if that's what you're talking about? Thank you sir!

Where did you get the dif locker at? Did you remove the viscous coupler with it installed?
Keep up the very informative work, I am right there with you.........front clutch pack went out so I'd like to build my spare and you are VERY helpful along with John OF COURSE!!!
Thanks to you and John!
Marty

The viscous coupler is gone but only because I welded the center diff. If it's a street car you may not want to get the diff locker as it can wear on the gears over time and get metal shavings in the transmission. But I got it with the transmission with all the other goodies that came with it. I just had to do all the tear down and assembly. Not sure where one would purchase the part otherwise.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how it all works but so long as I can work on it I'm happy.

For whatever reason, the one you're posting isn't playing for me so I'm not sure which video you're referring to. But I'm unsure if you saw the last video I posted where I "think" I'm addressing what you're referring to. Can you please confirm if that's what you're talking about? Thank you sir!
I'm sorry, I didn't watch all of them but I just took a picture of what I'm referring to. Any one of the 3 "blind splines" if you will, can simply be aligned by centering it on this ID dot.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 112
Yes sir, it's the very last video I made that's referring to that. Someone was watching my videos and pointed it out to me. Thankfully before I burned it up or installed the transmission. No idea why they didn't just use a master spline so it would only go in one way because it's very easy to overlook. Luckily I don't and won't have the issue.

I will say I wouldn't have been able to get any of it done without your advice over the phone or videos you've made and I'm certainly grateful for it.

John is such a good guy. Very personable and open. Thanks to you too Scott.

I’m having trouble understanding the whole transmission flex plate and the spacer thing so would I have to get that spacer also I blew my 2g block and so i got a whole brand new machined block with forged parts and now I’m on the transmission part so would have to get the flex plate the starter plate and the spacer for it to match up with my transmission I just needa know what parts to buy for me to get her on the road

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back